Aeros Take Sole Possession of Third Place with Shootout PointJanuary 16, 2011 - American Hockey League (AHL) Houston Aeros
Thanks to a 5-2 San Antonio loss at Chicago, the Aeros inched a point ahead of the Rampage in the West Division standings. Houston, which has won four of five overall and five of their last six at home, now sits two points behind the first-place Milwaukee Admirals.
The shootout mirrored regulation for the Aeros. Up 2-0 on goals by O'Sullivan and Casey Wellman, the Griffins mustered three unanswered tallies to steal the extra point. Jamie Johnson, Jamie Tardif and Chris Minard provided the offense in extra time for Grand Rapids.
The Aeros opened up a 2-0 lead within a span of 1:55 in the first period. Earl put Houston up 1-0 with his team-leading 12th goal of the season, beating Griffins goalie Adam Pearce with a wrist shot for an unassisted tally at 7:05. O'Sullivan followed up at 9:00 for his second goal in as many games with the Aeros this season.
Tardif cut the lead in half for the Griffins at 15:41 to pull into a tie for his club's goal-scoring lead. After Grand Rapids successfully killed off a five minute major penalty in the early stages of the third, Derek Meech tied the game at 9:42.
Matt Hackett took the shootout loss for Houston with a 35-save performance.
The Aeros return to action on Friday, Jan. 21 vs. the Texas Stars at Toyota Center at 7:35 p.m. Take advantage of Guys Night at the Houston Aeros ticket packs and get a chance to meet Mr. Hockey Gordie Howe. Call 713-974-7825 (PUCK) for more information on Aeros tickets and other promotions.
DECIDING GOAL Minard (5th round, shootout)
POWER PLAYS HOU: 0/1 GR: 0/0
GOALIES HOU: Hackett (35/37; 2/5 SO; SOL) GR: Pearce (24/26; 3/5 SO; W)
TEAM RECORDS HOU: 24-18-1-3 GR: 19-19-1-4
AEROS STARTERS F: Wellman, Earl, Rau D: Noreau, Bagnall G: Hackett
AEROS SCRATCHES Fraser, Palmer, Kalus, Buck, Broda
NEXT GAME Jan. 21 vs. Texas, 7:35 p.m. CST
BOMB DROPPINGS The Aeros had won five straight shootouts dating back to Nov. 27 and were 4-0 at home...Houston wrapped up a four-game-in-five-day run and posted a 3-0-0-1 record over the stretch...The Aeros are unbeaten in regulation at home (5-0-0-1) since Dec. 26...Goalie Matt Hackett returned to action after missing Friday's game while serving as a backup to Anton Khudobin in Minnesota and then backing up Josh Tordjman in Houston's 2-1 win over the Griffins Saturday... The Aeros scored the first goal for the 29th time this season, an AHL-high...Jon DiSalvatore has points in three straight, tying a personal season-high streak...DiSalvatore's 31st point this season will be his 400th as a pro. He needs six points to get there...J.M. Daoust needs four games to reach the 400-pro mark...Robbie Earl has points (3-7-10) in eight of his last 11 outings.
American Hockey League Stories from January 16, 2011
- Whale Tops AHL's Best 6-3 - Connecticut Whale
- B-Sens Edge Bears 2-1 - Binghamton Senators
- Second-Period Charge Leads Admirals Over Checkers - Charlotte Checkers
- Griffins Ground Aeros, 3-2 in Shootout - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Amerks Scared Away by Monsters in 6-4 Loss; Drop Fourth Straight - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Take Over Second Place with 4-2 Victory at Charlotte - Norfolk Admirals
- Senators Slide Past Bears 2-1 Sunday - Hershey Bears
- Aeros Take Sole Possession of Third Place with Shootout Point - Houston Aeros
- Rampage Drop 5-2 Decision to Wolves - San Antonio Rampage
- Bruins Assign Bartkowski to Providence - Providence Bruins
- Wolves Halt Rampage, 5-2 - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Iced by Adirondack, 5-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Offense Lights it Up with Season-High 5 Goals - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sharks Fire 45 Shots in 2-0 Loss in Providence - Worcester Sharks
- P-Bruins Sink Sharks 2-0 - Providence Bruins
- Halsichuk, Thuresson Switch Spots - Milwaukee Admirals
- Heat Fall in Shootout 3-2 - Abbotsford Heat
- Falcons Lose to Pirates 4-1 - Springfield Falcons
- Pirates Out-Distance Falcons - Portland Pirates
- Coyotes Recall Maclean from San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- Blues Return Ian Cole to Peoria - Peoria Rivermen
- Netminder Pasquale Rejoins Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Preview: Aeros, Griffins Collide at 4 P.M. - Houston Aeros
- B-Sens Sign Forward Andrew Sweetland - Binghamton Senators
- Game Night: Amerks, Monsters Square off Again Tonight at Blue Cross Arena - Rochester Americans
- Senators Recall Goaltender Mike Brodeur from Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.