Pirates Out-Distance FalconsJanuary 16, 2011 - American Hockey League (AHL) Portland Pirates
Matt Ellis and Colin Stuart also scored for the Pirates while Mark Mancari stretched his point-scoring streak to seven games (4-5-9) with an assist. The win was the Pirates' third straight as they moved to 24-12-4-1 on the season.
Cody Goloubef netted the lone goal for Springfield, who dropped to 18-19-1-3 with their third straight loss.
The Pirates struck first in the game as Parrish connected shorthanded to give the visitors a 1-0 lead. However, only 64 seconds later Goloubef answered to tie the game one after one. Neither team was able to find the back of the net in the second, although the Falcons were awarded a great chance to take the lead when Tom Sestito was awarded a penalty shot midway through the period only to be denied by Enroth. The two teams headed into the third even at one. Ellis scored what turned out to be the game winner just under seven minutes into the third followed by Parrish's second of the game and Stuart's empty netter.
The Falcons out shot the Pirates 28-20 in the game as Enroth posted the victory.
The Allied Home Mortgage Three Stars of the Game were 1. Parrish; 2. Pirates defenseman Marc-Andre Gragnani and 3. Goloubef.
The next Pirates game takes place Tuesday when they travel to Worcester to face off against the Sharks in a 7 p.m. contest. The game is the re-scheduled contest from December 26th. The game can be heard live on 95.5 News Talk WLOB and on line at www.portlandpirates.com beginning with the pre-game show at 6:45 p.m.
The Pirates return home for games Friday and Saturday at the Civic Center.
Friday it's a re-match against the Sharks at 7 p.m. UNUM, in partnership with the Maine Coalition for Excellence in Education, will recognize six teachers and four school administrators who have made a difference in the lives of students in our public schools and who represent excellence in the educational profession. The 10 people to be honored at this game were nominated and selected through UNUM's Fifth Annual Maine Educators' Hall of Fame, supported by the Pirates. Also, the Unum Challenge continues. At each game in each city one fan is selected as the Unum Challenge Fan of the Game. Visit www.portlandpiates.com to enter.
Saturday it's another Bud Light Hockey Night in Portland when the Pirates take on Providence. Join us for the annual Salute to Motor Sports Night, presented by NAPA Auto Parts and THE BIG JAB. Again this season Casco Bay High School students involved in the Junior Achievement Program are producing the game sponsored by UNUM. As part of Junior Achievement business services these students will create a logo, develop a business plan and finalize a mission statement and vision for the game. And fans are encouraged to head to Shawnee Peak Sunday (January 23rd) afternoon and redeem their ticket from this game for a $20 dollar lift ticket.
Tickets for both games, as well as each of the remaining Pirates home games, are on sale now by calling 207-775-3458, visiting the Cumberland County Civic Center Box Office or on-line at ticketmaster.com.
American Hockey League Stories from January 16, 2011
- Whale Tops AHL's Best 6-3 - Connecticut Whale
- B-Sens Edge Bears 2-1 - Binghamton Senators
- Second-Period Charge Leads Admirals Over Checkers - Charlotte Checkers
- Griffins Ground Aeros, 3-2 in Shootout - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Amerks Scared Away by Monsters in 6-4 Loss; Drop Fourth Straight - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Take Over Second Place with 4-2 Victory at Charlotte - Norfolk Admirals
- Senators Slide Past Bears 2-1 Sunday - Hershey Bears
- Aeros Take Sole Possession of Third Place with Shootout Point - Houston Aeros
- Rampage Drop 5-2 Decision to Wolves - San Antonio Rampage
- Bruins Assign Bartkowski to Providence - Providence Bruins
- Wolves Halt Rampage, 5-2 - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Iced by Adirondack, 5-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Offense Lights it Up with Season-High 5 Goals - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sharks Fire 45 Shots in 2-0 Loss in Providence - Worcester Sharks
- P-Bruins Sink Sharks 2-0 - Providence Bruins
- Halsichuk, Thuresson Switch Spots - Milwaukee Admirals
- Heat Fall in Shootout 3-2 - Abbotsford Heat
- Falcons Lose to Pirates 4-1 - Springfield Falcons
- Pirates Out-Distance Falcons - Portland Pirates
- Coyotes Recall Maclean from San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- Blues Return Ian Cole to Peoria - Peoria Rivermen
- Netminder Pasquale Rejoins Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Preview: Aeros, Griffins Collide at 4 P.M. - Houston Aeros
- B-Sens Sign Forward Andrew Sweetland - Binghamton Senators
- Game Night: Amerks, Monsters Square off Again Tonight at Blue Cross Arena - Rochester Americans
- Senators Recall Goaltender Mike Brodeur from Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.