Monarchs Drop New Year's BallJanuary 1, 2011 - American Hockey League (AHL) Manchester Monarchs
Manchester (23-12-1-1) dropped their 13th game of the season and remains in first place in the Atlantic Division with 48 points. Springfield (16-15-1-3) earned their 16th win of the season and sits in sixth place in the Atlantic Division.
"Tonight's game was very physical," said Monarchs Head Coach Mark Morris following Saturday's loss in Springfield. "Springfield blitzed us from the opening shift. We had several point blank chances including a penalty shot on their net, but their team made the most of their chances. There was lots of bad blood and I am hoping we learn to adapt to the intensity level that we encountered tonight."
Defenseman Cody Goloubef doubled Springfield's lead to 2-0 at 5:28 of the middle frame with his third tally of the season. Defenseman Grant Clitsome collected the puck in the left corner of the Monarchs zone and threaded a pass through traffic to center Trevor Frischmon who was skating in from the high slot. Frischmon's one-timer was stopped by Monarchs goaltender Jeff Zatkoff but the rebound fell to the stick of Goloubef on the right doorstep for the goal.
At the 19-minute mark of the first period, defenseman Nick Holden broke the scoreless tie with his second tally of the season. Center Ben Guite won the draw in the left face-off circle of the Monarchs zone. Guite drew the puck back to Holden who skated to the center point and unleashed a shot that beat Zatkoff to give the Falcons the 1-0 lead.
The Monarchs cut the Falcons lead in half with defenseman Viatcheslav Voynov's sixth goal of the season at 18:36 of the second stanza. Right wing John Zeiler collected a pass in neutral territory and fed the puck to left wing Richard Clune as the pair crossed the Falcons blueline along the left wing. Clune dropped a pass back to Voynov who was skating in from the center point. Once he hit the high slot, Voynov snapped a wrist shot that beat netminder Gustaf Wesslau high on his blocker side.
Center Andrei Loktionov was pulled down on a breakaway at 6:41 of the third period and was awarded a penalty shot. Loktionov skated in on Wesslau, faked a slap shot, moved the puck to his backhand and then to his forehand before trying to sneak it inside the left post but Wesslau made the blocker save.
Just 13 seconds later, the Falcons responded with Guite's fifth goal of the season to give the home team a 3-1 lead. The puck was sent the length of the ice and Monarchs defenseman Andrew Campbell skated back for the icing call. Campbell tapped the puck but there was no icing call. Falcons right wing Tomas Kubalik snagged the puck along the end redline and passed it to left wing Matt Calvert in the left face-off circle. Calvert quickly spotted Guite skating down the right wing for a one-timer at the right doorstep that he partially fanned on but still managed to get it past Zatkoff for the Falcons third goal of the game.
Zatkoff (10-10-1) dropped his 10th game of the season, stopping 20-of-23 shots. Wesslau (4-5-1) earned his fourth win of the season with 25 saves on 26 shots.
Manchester went 0-for-4 on the power play. Springfield was 0-for-2 with the man advantage.
American Hockey League Stories from January 1, 2011
- Monsters Bounce Back with Shutout Win - Lake Erie Monsters
- Aeros Rally in Final Minute, Beat Rampage 4-3 - Houston Aeros
- Last Minute Rally Puts Aeros over Rampage 4-3 - San Antonio Rampage
- Islanders Acquire Defenseman Ty Wishart - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Manitoba Drops New Year's Day Clash with Chicago 3-2 - Manitoba Moose
- Former Amerk Spoils New Year's Celebration in Rochester - Rochester Americans
- Lightning Acquire G Dwayne Roloson From Islanders - Norfolk Admirals
- New Year, Same Result Against Rivermen - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Falcons Start 2011 With Impressive Win - Springfield Falcons
- Wolves Ring In New Year With 3-2 Win In Manitoba - Chicago Wolves
- Paetsch Paces Crunch to 4-1 Win Over Rochester - Syracuse Crunch
- Monarchs Drop New Year's Ball - Manchester Monarchs
- Bulldogs Shut out by Monsters 3-0 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Whale win over Bruins - Connecticut Whale
- Allen Opens 2011 With Fifth Shutout - Peoria Rivermen
- Greg Moore Game-Winner Extends Streak - Adirondack Phantoms
- Admirals Comeback Falls Short in 4-3 Loss to Penguins - Milwaukee Admirals
- Brust the Difference as Senators Blank Checkers, 3-0 - Charlotte Checkers
- Late Goal Downs Devils in Adirondack - Albany Devils
- Aeros Sign Jed Ortmeyer - Houston Aeros
- P-Bruins Fall to Whale 6-2 - Providence Bruins
- Game Night: Amerks, Crunch Ring in the New Year Tonight at Blue Cross Arena - Rochester Americans
- Anaheim Reassigns Defenseman John de Gray from Elmira to Syracuse - Syracuse Crunch
- Canadiens Assign Brett Festerling to Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Falcons Host the Monarchs Tonight - Springfield Falcons
- Omark Assigned to Oklahoma City; Belle Recalled by Edmonton - Oklahoma City Barons
- Barons Notes for December 28 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Preview: Aeros, Rampage Kick off 2011 - Houston Aeros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.