West Virginia and Hagerstown Split A TwinbillJuly 27, 2010 - South Atlantic League (SAL) - West Virginia Power
STREAK STOPPED IN SPLIT: Jose Hernandez was held hitless in game two Monday and saw his nine game hitting streak come to a close. Hernandez hit .438 during the streak, which dated back to July 17. The outfielder hit two home runs and driven in eight during that span, representing over 20 percent of his total runs batted in this season.
WITH HONORS: Phillip Irwin was named the South Atlantic League Pitcher of the Week for his efforts from July 19 through 25. The right-hander made one appearance during that span, pitching seven no-hit innings on Saturday at Hagerstown. Irwin is the second Power pitcher to be honored this month, as Nathan Baker was name Pitcher of the Week from July 5 though 11. Coincidentally or not, Baker's award winning week also included a no-hit bid (eight innings @ HAG on July 6). Irwin and Baker are the only two players to be honored by the SAL this season.
ROSTER ROULETTE ROLLS ON: Maurice Bankston was added back to the Power roster on Monday and Teddy Fallon was sent back to State College. Bankston was placed on the Spikes roster on July 23, while Fallon was promoted to the Power. Neither player appeared in a game over the weekend.
WALK THIS WAY: Evan Chambers has walked 77 times this year to lead the South Atlantic League. Chambers is tied for third across all of Minor League Baseball, trailing only Kila Ki'aihue of Omaha (84) and Conner Crumbliss of Kane County (84). Chambers is tied for third with Vincent Belnome of Lake Elsinore. Comparatively speaking, Prince Fielder and Albert Pujols lead Major League Baseball with 66 walks each. Chambers has played in 93 games this year, while Fielder has appeared in 101 and Pujols in 98.
POWER POINTS: Kyle Morgan went hitless in game one Monday and saw his six game hitting streak stopped. Morgan had nine hits in 23 at bats (.391) during this streak, his longest of the season... Jairo Marquez has reached safely in each of the six games he has played this season, but saw his streak of games with a double snapped at five straight after reaching on just a single in game two Monday... Former Power pitcher Nathan Baker is 1-1 in two starts for Bradenton with a 3.27 ERA... Jason Erickson will make his fourth appearance and third start against Hagerstown today. The right-hander is 1-1 with a 7.59 ERA, the brunt of which occured with seven runs over and inning and two thirds on July 5 at Municipal Stadium, Erickson's most recent start versus the Suns.
AROUND THE ORGANIZATION: Pittsburgh was idle and opens a six game road trip tonight... Indianapolis beat Charlotte 8-5... Altoona scored nine in the eighth to upend Erie 11-2... Bradenton did not play... State College staved off Mahonig Valley on the road 6-4.Cole White drove in three runs for the Spikes.
ON THE AIR: All 140 West Virginia Power games can be heard on ESPN Radio 1490 AM in Charleston, WV, across the state on the Power Radio Network, and online at milb.com. Adam Marco will call the action for each of the 70 home games this season, while the home team will provide coverage while the Power are on the road.
South Atlantic League Stories from July 27, 2010
- Legends Score Early, Beat Savannah 13-6 - Lexington Legends
- May Mystifies Shorebirds in 9-0 Lakewood Win - Delmarva Shorebirds
- May Strikes out 14, Claws Crush Birds 9-0 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Behind Ruiz, Drive Shutout Braves 4-0 in Game One - Greenville Drive
- Series Finale in Augusta Rained Out - Hickory Crawdads
- Weather Claims Jackets, Crawdads Finale - Augusta GreenJackets
- RiverDogs Salvage Series Split, Snip Greensboro, 7-6 - Charleston RiverDogs
- Gnats Game Notes: Tuesday, July 27 at Lexington - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Shorebirds Game Notes - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Ramirez Walk off Gives Suns Victory - Hagerstown Suns
- Intimidators Roll to Series Win 12-2 - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Charleston Baseball Hall of Fame to Induct Four New Members on August 6 - Charleston RiverDogs
- Brewer Placed on Dl - Rome Braves
- West Virginia and Hagerstown Split A Twinbill - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.