"Be Your Own Senator" with the Charleston RiverDogsJune 16, 2010 - South Atlantic League (SAL) Charleston RiverDogs
In response to Alvin Greene's surprising victory in the Democratic Senate Primary with minimal campaign expenses and in coordination with the team's "Be Your Own Fan" mantra, the team is adding their fans to the ever-growing ballot. The RiverDogs are going from "Be Your Own Fan" to "Be Your Own * Senator*."
Recent events have shown that anyone can run for senator in the Palmetto State, and there may not be a better collection of potential candidates than in the confines of Joseph P. Riley, Jr. Park.
*The Daily Show* and Jon Stewart have even gotten in on the act, as well. On a recent episode of the Comedy Central program, Stewart thanked South Carolina for being the country's "whoopee cushion" and bringing comedic relief to the sometimes dreary national headlines.
The comedian cited Greene's election as the most recent event in the state's laundry list of controversial happenings near the state house in the past year.
No stranger to fun -- particularly "Fun Is Good", and whoopee cushions for that matter -- the RiverDogs are taking Stewart and the Daily Show's comments all in stride and jumping at this unique chance to take "Be Your Own Fan" to the next level.
The club is looking to the RiverDogs faithful to produce the next South Carolina candidate for senator with its "Be Your Own Senator" campaign.
Fans, aspiring politicians and Mr. Stewart are all encouraged to visit the team's Facebook and Twitter pages and submit their own campaign videos, taking after Mr. Greene's campaign and spending as little money as possible. To aid in the thriftiness of the campaigns, the RiverDogs will even give fans the chance to hold their own political rallies albeit, in RiverDogs fashion.
The fun starts with the team offering discounts on whoopee cushions in the team store. Inspired by Mr. Greene's acceptance speech attire, the club is also giving fans the chance to make their own family reunion t-shirts for just $1 at the heat press outside the store.
The team's front office understands how stressful and hectic a political run may be, so while some Charlestonians may have difficulty finding anywhere to hike in the Lowcountry, the club is inviting fans to walk the warning track to clear their minds prior to the senatorial race.
As the state requires all candidates to be residents of South Carolina, all RiverDogs political hopefuls, and even Jon Stewart himself, are invited to share living space with the team's interns at a local apartment complex in West Ashley.
Show your fellow South Carolinians why you should "Be Their Own Senator." The RiverDogs are nationally-known for zany promotions and off-the-wall ballpark events, so originality in campaign videos will certainly be applauded.
So while fun may be lacking in the political scene, Fun is *always* Good with the Charleston RiverDogs and the new "Be Your Own Senator" campaign.
The RiverDogs begin a five-game series against the Greenville Drive, the Single-A affiliate of the Boston Red Sox, on Thursday, June 24 at 7:05 p.m. For more information on tickets visit www.riverdogs.com or call the box office at (843) 577-DOGS (3647).
South Atlantic League Stories from June 16, 2010
- Shorebirds Complete Series Sweep with 8-6 Series Finale Win - Delmarva Shorebirds
- RiverDogs Bark Loud and Proud, Post Season-Highs in Runs, Hits in 15-6 Dismantling of Augusta - Charleston RiverDogs
- Suns Sweep Doubleheader in Asheville - Hagerstown Suns
- Crawdads Fall to Power, 5-3 - Hickory Crawdads
- Cohoon Does It Again: Tosses Third Consecutive Shutout - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Jackets Pounded in Series Finale, 15-6 - Augusta GreenJackets
- Shorebirds Sweep Intimidators, 8-6 - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Legends Take Final Game of Lakewood Series, 10-3 - Lexington Legends
- BlueClaws Downed by Legends, 10-3 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Gnats Katz Throws Down for Georgia Mega-Series - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Gnats Game Notes - Savannah Sand Gnats
- "Be Your Own Senator" with the Charleston RiverDogs - Charleston RiverDogs
- GreenJackets, Sand Gnats Square Off in MEGA Series - Augusta GreenJackets
- Heredia Activated from DL, Arcia Sent to Staten Island - Charleston RiverDogs
- Masters Activated - Rome Braves
- Power Game Notes - West Virginia Power
- Tickets Remain for Dale Murphy Luncheon This Saturday - Asheville Tourists
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.