Kasparek & Poythress Named All-StarsJune 10, 2010 - California League (CalL) - High Desert Mavericks
Kasparek has been one of the top starting pitchers in the league this year. Through 12 starts, Kasparek is 6-1 with a 2.34 ERA, the fourth-best in the league. He also ranks first in innings pitched (77.0) and WHIP (1.06), and is second in opponent batting average (.225). On June 8 against Rancho Cucamonga, Kasparek tossed a complete game, two-hit shutout at Mavericks Stadium. It was the first time since 2004 a Maverick pitched a complete game shutout at home during the regular season.
Last season Kasparek led the Midwest League with a 2.41 ERA and was named Clinton's Most Valuable Pitcher by the Seattle Mariners. The Weimar, Texas native was a 12th round pick in 2008 from the University of Texas.
After being drafted in the second round last year out of the University of Georgia, Poythress has had no trouble adjusting to his first full season of professional baseball. The slugging first baseman is hitting is hitting .288 and he is tops in the circuit with 54 RBI's. His 12 homers ranks second in the California League, but is first among active players. On June 6 at Inland Empire, Poythress drove in seven runs during a 3-for-5 day at the plate. Poythress hails from Grovetown, Georgia, located only a few hours from Myrtle Beach.
The game is scheduled to start at 7:05 p.m. EDT on Tuesday, June 22 at BB&T Coastal Field.
California League Stories from June 10, 2010
- JetHawks and City of Lancaster Sign Five-Year Lease Extension for Hangar - Lancaster JetHawks
- Nate Eovaldi An All-Star - Inland Empire 66ers
- Storm Lead Cal League with Five All-Stars - Lake Elsinore Storm
- Nuts Shock Giants with Ninth-Inning Home Run - San Jose Giants
- Stephen Parker to Represent Ports at All-Star Game - Stockton Ports
- California League Announces 2010 All-Star Selections - Modesto Nuts
- Kasparek & Poythress Named All-Stars - High Desert Mavericks
- Jay Austin Selected for California League All-Star Team - Lancaster JetHawks
- Rawhide Reliever Bryan Woodall Named to Cal League All-Star Roster - Visalia Rawhide
- Amarista, Auer And Chatwood Make 2010 All-Star Team - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- San Jose Giants Dominate California League All-Star Roster - San Jose Giants
- Cal League All Stars Announced - CalL
- KPMG and San Jose Giants Launch RBI Program Offering Baseball and Life Skills Camps for Local Boys a - San Jose Giants
- Giants Outlast Modesto In 14-Inning Thriller - San Jose Giants
- Ports Win Third Straight, 3-2 Over Blaze - Stockton Ports
- Barnes' Cycle Lifts Lancaster Past Visalia - Lancaster JetHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.