Kansas City Wizards Face Real Salt LakeMay 24, 2010 - Major League Soccer (MLS) Sporting Kansas City
The Kansas City Wizards face another tough test this Saturday, traveling to take on 2009 MLS Cup Champions Real Salt Lake at Rio Tinto Stadium. The Wizards will look to end a six-game skid that has seen the team go winless after back-to-back victories to start the 2010 campaign. Kansas City outshot the Columbus Crew 18-7 Sunday but fell 1-0 thanks to a second-half goal from Venezuelan substitute Emilio Renteria, who went on to win MLS Player of the Week honors.
Real Salt Lake started slowly but have rounded into form of late, posting a 4-0-0 record so far in May. Real has defeated Toronto FC, Philadelphia Union, Houston Dynamo and Chivas USA over that stretch, outscoring the quartet by a 10-3 margin.
The Wizards were the first team to ever earn a regular-season victory at Rio Tinto Stadium, when they defeated RSL 2-0 May 16, 2009 with striker Josh Wolff scoring a goal in each half. The Wizards are 5-3-2 all-time against RSL during the regular season, including a 2-2-1 record on the road. The teams split the 2009 series, with Real winning 1-0 at CommunityAmerica Ballpark on August 29.
Wizards midfielder Davy Arnaud has now played 198 matches for the club. With two more appearances, he will become just the 5th player in team history to appear in 200 games for Kansas City. Wizards assistant Kerry Zavagnin is the team's all-time appearance leader, with 237 career games in a Kansas City uniform.
Saturday's match will again be broadcast live on KCWE 29 with 30-minute pre-game and post-game shows. Play-by-play man Dave Borchardt will have the call in English, with Sasha Victorine serving as analyst. Secondary audio is available in Spanish, featuring Enrique Morales and Raul Villegas.
Major League Soccer Stories from May 24, 2010
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- FC Dallas Will Face 2010 UEFA Champions League Winner Inter Milan at Pizza Hut Park on August 5 - FC Dallas
- Houston in First Place on goUSAbid.com On-Line Petition to Host FIFA World Cup - Houston Dynamo
- Fire Return To League Play Before Challenging A.C. Milan - Chicago Fire
- Sounders FC News & Notes - Seattle Sounders FC
- Kansas City Wizards Face Real Salt Lake - Sporting Kansas City
- Academy For Ticket Sales Representatives Of MLS - MLS
- Rapids Announce 2010 Official Youth Soccer Tournament Series - Colorado Rapids
- Defender Jhon Kennedy Hurtado Placed On Injured Reserve - Seattle Sounders FC
- Red Bulls Host Colorado Wednesday In USOC - New York Red Bulls
- Columbus Crew Forward Emilio Renteria Named MLS Player Of The Week - Columbus Crew
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club In The Community Update - Chicago Fire
- WCSA Announces RFK Stadium Parking Lot 8 Repaving Complete - D.C. United
- Union Return To MLS To Play Against Houston Dynamo After A Bye Week - Philadelphia Union
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.