Sounds Open Road Trip with 6-2 Loss to PCL-Leading GrizzliesMay 20, 2010 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Nashville Sounds
Fresno notched its league-leading 28th victory in the matchup between the top two teams in the Pacific Coast League.
Grizzlies starter Joe Martinez (4-1) turned in an outstanding effort, allowing two runs on five hits over 7 2/3 innings to notch the victory.
Fresno took an early 2-0 lead against Sounds starter Chuck Lofgren with single runs in the first and second innings.
Brock Bond led off the Grizzlies' first with a triple and scored later in the frame on a Buster Posey sacrifice fly. An inning later, Fresno third baseman Jesus Guzman slugged his fourth home run of the year, a one-out solo shot to left.
The Grizzlies upped the lead to 6-0 in the sixth. After the first three batters of the frame reached to load the bases, Joe Borchard tacked on a run with a sacrifice fly. Fresno first baseman Brad Pill followed by belting a three-run homer to left that chased Lofgren from the game. It was the infielder's fourth roundtripper of the season.
Nashville finally broke up Martinez's shutout bid in the eighth. Second baseman Ray Olmedo put the visitors on the board when his two-out double plated Drew Anderson, who had drawn a walk in front of him. The two-bagger extended Olmedo's hit streak to 10 games, matching his longest effort of the year. Trent Oeltjen followed with an RBI single to make it a 6-2 contest.
Grizzlies reliever Osiris Matos escaped further damage in the frame when he caught Adam Heether looking at a third strike with two runners on to end the inning. The right-hander finished out the game to notch his first save of the year.
Nashville shortstop Luis Cruz doubled in the fifth inning to extend his hitting streak to 11 games, the longest by a Sounds player all season.
Lofgren (5-3) took the loss for the Sounds after surrendering a season-high six runs on six hits, including a pair of homers, over 5 1/3 innings of action. It marked only the second time in nine starts this season that the left-hander allowed more than three runs in a contest.
The teams meet again on Friday in another 9:05 p.m. CT contest. Left-hander Chase Wright (2-1, 4.10) will take the hill for the Sounds to face Fresno southpaw Matt Yourkin (2-0, 3.50).
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 20, 2010
- Red-Hot Zawadzki Helps Beavers Beat RedHawks - Portland Beavers
- Memphis Strikes Early to Topple Sacramento - Sacramento River Cats
- Sounds Open Road Trip with 6-2 Loss to PCL-Leading Grizzlies - Nashville Sounds
- Johnson Powers Express past Reno, 9-4 - Round Rock Express
- Aces Tripped Up in Round Rock - Reno Aces
- Cubs Triumph over Sky Sox, 11-7 - Iowa Cubs
- Triple-A All-Star Game Fan Voting Begins June 3 - PCL
- Round Rock Express Game Notes - Round Rock Express
- Rock Cats Spoil Series Finale, 6-2 - Portland Beavers
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Jeremy Hill Retires - Salt Lake Bees
- Korn, Dogs On Tap Monday At Rosenblatt - Omaha Storm Chasers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.