Chiefs Come from Behind to Win 4-2 WednesdayApril 28, 2010 - Midwest League (MWL) Peoria Chiefs
The Timber Rattlers scored early against starter Su-Min Jung, putting a run on the board in their first at-bat. D'Vontrey Richardson led off the inning with a single and advanced to third on a pair of wild pitches. Ryan Gennett hit a sacrifice fly in foul territory that brought in the run and gave Wisconsin a 1-0 lead.
Wisconsin added to the lead in the top of the fourth inning. Sean Halton drew a walk to start the inning and advanced to third on a Chris Dennis single. Cameron Garfield grounded into a double play that scored Halton to put the Rattlers on top 2-0.
The Chiefs came back in the sixth inning and took the lead off of reliever Jake Odorizzi. Justin Bour led off with a single and advanced to second on a Jonathan Mota base hit. Richard Jones hit a two-RBI double and a Jose Valdez sacrifice bunt advanced Jones to third. Francisco Guzman hit a sacrifice fly to left that scored Jones and gave the Chiefs a 3-2 lead.
Peoria added to their lead in the bottom of the seventh inning. Greg Rohan hit a two-out single and advanced to second on a fielding error that allowed Bour to reach. Mota drove in the run with his second hit of the day to give the Chiefs the 4-2 lead.
Joey Paciorek led off the ninth inning with a walk and advanced to second on a Michael Marseco single. Richardson hit a fly ball that was caught by Jose Valdez in deep left center and the Chiefs recorded a second out on the play as Valdez threw Paciorek out at third base. Jordan Latham struck out Gennett to end the game and preserve the Chiefs eighth straight home win.
Jung pitched four innings and allowed two runs on five hits, three walks, and struck out one in a no-decision. Ronny Morla (1-0) pitched two innings for his first win of the season and did not give up a run on two hits, one walk, and two strikeouts. Jeff Beliveau pitched two innings and did not give up a run on one hit, one walk, and three strikeouts. Latham pitched one shutout inning on one hit, one walk, and he struck out one batter to record his sixth save of the season.
Casey's General Store Player of the Game - Richard Jones (LF) -Jones went 2-for-4, scored a run, and drove in two. He hit a two-RBI double in the sixth to tie the game and scored the game-winning run later in the inning on Guzman's sacrifice fly.
Notes...The Chiefs remain undefeated at home this season...The 8-0 home record ties the 2003 team for the best start in O'Brien Field history...Wednesday was the first game all season the Chiefs had two outfield assists (Guzman and Valdez)...The Chiefs did not steal a base Wednesday, breaking a streak of four consecutive games with a stolen base...Latham is six for six on saves converted this season...The Chiefs and Timber Rattlers continue the series Thursday at 6:30...Thursday is Throwback Thursday-We Love The 50's Night...Thursday is Qdoba Thursdays where fans can present their Qdoba card at the O'Brien Field Box Office to receive $2 off a Club Box Ticket...The Chiefs will pitch RH Rob Whitenack (2-1) against Wisconsin's RH Eric Arnett (0-2)...The game can be heard starting with the pre-game show at 6:15 PM on 96.5 ESPN Radio and www.peoriachiefs.com.
Midwest League Stories from April 28, 2010
- Lugnuts Edge Whitecaps, 2-1 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Trout and Jimenez Shine on Dark Night for Kernels - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Nommensen Delivers Three Hits Wednesday Night - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Chiefs Come from Behind to Win 4-2 Wednesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Big Bats Back Stanton in Cedar Rapids - Clinton LumberKings
- Rattlers Can't Stop Peoria's Streak - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Whitecaps Drop Fifth in a Row - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Fall 4-1 to Lake County - Dayton Dragons
- Hot Rods Team Up With Beech Bend Park - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Bandits Drop Second Straight In Kane County - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cougars Rally for Wild Walk-Off Win - Kane County Cougars
- Eddie Milner To Join Dragons TV Crew On Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Snappers Swat Bees in Rubber Game - Beloit Snappers
- South Bend turns tables, 2-1 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bullpen Dominates In Silver Hawks 2-1 Win - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Dragons Gameday For Wednesday, April 28 - Dayton Dragons
- Loons Celebrating Arbor Day With Tree Planting At Chippewa Nature Center - Great Lakes Loons
- Captains Return Home On April 30 For Seven-Game Home Stand - Lake County Captains
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.