Windsor Spitfires Defeat Plymouth Whalers 5-0April 5, 2010 - Ontario Hockey League (OHL) - Windsor Spitfires Press Release
- With tonight's 5-0 win, Windsor takes a 3-0 series lead in the Western Conference Semi-Finals of the 2010 OHL Playoffs. Windsor outshot the Whalers 36 to 16 in the contest and have won their first seven playoff games of the 2010 post-season and can close out the series with a Game four win in Plymouth on Wednesday. Game time in Plymouth is set for 7:05 pm.
- Defenceman Ryan Ellis scored one goal and added two assists in the contest and was named the Penalty Box's First Star of the game. He is leading the series in scoring with nine points in three games. Ellis is ranked first amongst all OHL defencemen, second on the Spitfires and third in league scoring with 15 points in seven games. He also leads all defencemen and is second in the league with 13 assists. Ellis has recorded points in each of the Spitfires seven playoff games, posting multi-point performances in his past five games.
- Forward Dale Mitchell scored two goals in the contest, the second consecutive game in which he has scored a pair of goals, and was selected as the Penalty Box's Second Star of the game. He has six goals and four assists in seven Spitfire playoff games and is second on the team's goal scoring list and third overall in team scoring during the playoffs.
- Forward Taylor Hall registered two assists in the game and was selected as the Penalty Box's Third Star of the game. Hall has enjoyed multi-point performances in each of Windsor's seven playoff wins. Hall is currently ranked first in the OHL with nine goals and leads the entire league with a +12 plus-minus rating. He is also tied for second in the OHL with 16 points in the playoffs and second in scoring during this series with eight points in three games.
- Goaltender Philipp Grubauer wins his seventh consecutive game of the playoffs, stopping all 16 shots that he faced for his first career shutout. He is ranked first in the OHL with seven playoffs wins, third in the OHL with a 2.02 goals against average and seventh in the league with a .916 save percentage.
- Forwards Adam Henrique and Eric Wellwood scored one goal each in Windsor's victory, marking the second consecutive game that they have each scored. Henrique is ranked third on the Spitfires with five goals during the playoffs. Henrique has nine points and Wellwood has registered seven points in seven playoff games each.
- Defencemen Ryan Ellis, Marc Cantin and Mark Cundari as well as forward Adam Henrique are all tied for seventh in the OHL's plus-minus department with +8 ratings during the playoffs. Cundari is also tied for fourth amongst all OHL defencemen in scoring with seven points in seven games.
- Windsor scored two power play goals on nine opportunities tonight. The team's power play is ranked second overall in the OHL, operating at a 28.9% clip during the playoffs.
- Windsor killed all six of Plymouth's power play opportunities tonight. The Spitfires are first in the OHL, killing 92.5% of their penalties during the playoffs.
- Forward Stephen Johnston missed the game due to injury.
Spitfires' Series Recap
2010 Windsor Spitfires "CODE RED" Playoff Run - Round Two
#1 Windsor vs. #4 Plymouth - OHL Western Conference Semi-Final Series (Round Two), 2010 OHL Playoffs
Game 1 Thursday, April 1st - Plymouth at Windsor, 7:05 pm (Windsor wins 5-1)
Game 2 Saturday, April 3rd - Windsor at Plymouth, 7:05 pm (Windsor wins 5-3)
Game 3 Monday, April 5th - Plymouth at Windsor, 7:05 pm (Windsor wins 5-0)
Game 4 Wednesday, April 7th - Windsor at Plymouth, 7:05 pm
Game 5 Thursday, April 8th - Plymouth at Windsor, 7:05 pm *
Game 6 Saturday, April 10th - Windsor at Plymouth, 7:05 pm *
Game 7 Monday, April 12th - Plymouth at Windsor, 7:05 pm *
* If necessary
Spitfire fans are also encouraged to wear red for each Spitfire home game during the playoffs as part of the Spits "CODE RED!" theme for the 2010 OHL Playoffs.
Fans can follow each Spitfire home and road game on AM800 CKLW and TVCOGECO (Cable 11). The Windsor Star is also offering a live blog online for all Spitfire games at windsorstar.com.
Ontario Hockey League Stories from April 5, 2010
- Windsor Spitfires Defeat Plymouth Whalers 5-0 - Windsor Spitfires
- Knights Edge Rangers 2-1 In Series With 6-3 Win - Kitchener Rangers
- 67's' Petr Mrazek Named Boston Pizza OHL Player Of The Week - OHL
- 500 Tickets Still Available For Tonight's Game - Windsor Spitfires
- 22 CHL Players Named To Canada's National Men's Under-18 Team - OHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.