Red-and-White fall in Honda Super ClásicoApril 2, 2010 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Club Deportivo Chivas USA Press Release
- Chivas USA dropped a 2-0 decision to the LA Galaxy at The Home Depot Center on Thursday night, unable to find a goal despite having good possession the game and a number of chances, especially in the final 20 minutes. Blair Gavin, the Red-and-White's first pick in the 2010 MLS SuperDraft, made his MLS debut and played 90 minutes in central midfield.
- The Galaxy took the lead early, scoring on a Buddle header against the run of play in the seventh minute. After the goal, both teams attempted to take control of the match, and both teams fought hard in the midfield but struggled to find chances.
- The match opened up in the second half, and Chivas USA found several opportunities but could not find a way past Donovan Ricketts in the Galaxy net, who picked up his second shutout in two matches. Jesús Padilla, Maicon Santos, and Sacha Kljestan all had chances turned away by the goalkeeper.
- After a string of Chivas USA shots, the Galaxy iced the game in the 87th minute on a counter attack, with Landon Donovan getting behind the defense and feeding Buddle in the center of the field for the second goal of the game.
- Blair Gavin made his MLS debut for the Red-and-White, playing 90 minutes in central midfield and turning in one of the top performances of the match. Making strong tackles and accurate passes, the rookie from the University of Akron dueled with Galaxy veterans Chris Birchall and Dema Kovalenko for the entire match.
- Chivas USA Head Coach Martín Vásquez, on tonight's match: "I'm disappointed with the result, but I think we're on the right track.... We were very unlucky, very unfortunate not to get a goal. It would've changed everything, because we would've gotten that momentum and who knows, we could've had the opportunity to finish it off." A full series of quotes from Vásquez, as well as soundbytes from Sacha Kljestan, Blair Gavin and Justin Braun, are available on Dentro del Rebaño ('Inside the Flock'), the official blog of Chivas USA.
- Chivas USA also debuted its new shirt sponsor in the match, wearing the "Extra" logo on their shirts. Extra, a convenience store chain in Mexico, recently signed a multi-year sponsorship deal with the Red-and-White to put its logo on the shirts.
- The Red-and-White will return to the training field on Friday, practicing at 10:30 a.m. on Field 6 at The Home Depot Center before taking Saturday and Sunday off. Chivas USA will train Monday through Friday next week at 10:00 a.m. at The Home Depot Center ahead of the match against the New York Red Bulls on April 10.
- Next home game: Chivas USA will host the New York Red Bulls on Saturday, April 10 at 1:00 p.m. PT at The Home Depot Center. For more information, or to purchase tickets, please call 1-877-CHIVAS-1 or visit cdchivasusa.com .
Major League Soccer Stories from April 2, 2010
- Kansas City Wizards Take On A.C. St. Louis in Exhibition Saturday - Sporting Kansas City
- Rapids Sign Argentine Forward Claudio Lopez - Colorado Rapids
- D.C. United Calls Up Goalkeeper Andrew Quinn - D.C. United
- D.C. United Announces 2010 Corporate Partners - D.C. United
- D.C. United Shares Parking Details For Home Opener - D.C. United
- Red-and-White fall in Honda Super Clásico - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Real Salt Lake Drops 1-2 Decision At Houston - Real Salt Lake
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.