Devils WeeklyMarch 23, 2010 - American Hockey League (AHL) Albany Devils
Lowell continues its schedule at the Tsongas Center this week with matches against Manchester on Wednesday, Springfield on Friday and Bridgeport on Sunday. With 79 points, the Monarchs sit one point behind the Devils in the division standings with a game in hand. The Devils trail the second-place Pirates by eight points with nine games left on each team's regular season schedule.
Tuesday, Devils 2 vs. PIRATES 3 (SO)
Tyler Ennis' equalizer with five minutes remaining helped Portland to an eventual 3-2 shootout win over Lowell at the Cumberland County Civic Center. T.J. Brennan and Nick Palmieri traded goals in the first period before Matt Halischuk gave Lowell its first lead with 2:18 left in the second. Mike McKenna made 40-of-42 saves through overtime, but was bested by Portland goalie J.P. Lamoureux, who stopped all four Devils skaters in the shootout. Nathan Gerbe and Mark Mancari converted in the shootout for Portland.
Friday, DEVILS 2 vs. Bruins 4
A Providence squad trying to keep their playoff hopes alive got a pair of goals from defenseman Andrew Bodnarchuk en route to a 4-2 win over Lowell at the Tsongas Center. Bodnarchuk and Jordan Knackstedt scored past Jeff Frazee over a span of five minutes to stake a 2-0 lead in the first. Tim Sestito's second- period marker that cut the Bruins' lead in half was quickly answered on the breakaway by Mikko Lehtonen. Bodnarchuk tallied again in the third period for his first-multi goal game of the season.
Saturday, DEVILS 3 vs. Pirates 2 (OT)
The Devils gained some revenge versus the Pirates on Saturday as Cory Murphy's overtime game-winner gave his team the 3-2 win. Michael Swift had a hand in all of Lowell's goals, scoring twice during regulation and notching the second assist on Murphy's OT winner. Swift put the Devils up 1-0 two minutes into the first and would knot the score late in the second after Cody McCormick and Tyler Ennis tallied for the Pirates. Mike McKenna made 19 saves for his 21st win of the season.
Sunday, DEVILS 5 vs. Sharks 6 (SO)
Lowell rallied from two goals down in the third period to force overtime against Worcester, but succumbed in the shootout, 6-5. Michael Swift matched his effort from the previous night, compiling two goals and an assist. After the Sharks posted four goals in the second period to take a 5-3 lead into the third, Stephen Gionta and Nick Palmieri each got the puck past goalie Frank Doyle to knot the score. Defenseman Cory Murphy contributed a goal and assist for the second game in a row. Goaltender Mike McKenna stopped 30 shots through overtime and a 2-of-4 in the shootout.
Around the Horns
Four of the last five meetings between Lowell and Portland have gone past regulation. The Pirates had taken three straight in the shootout before the Devils scored the overtime win at home on Saturday... Lowell tied a season-best on Sunday when they allowed just two shots in the first period against the Worcester Sharks...The Devils are one of four teams in the AHL to never have lost at home when leading after two periods (14-0-0-0)...With a goal and assist on Sunday, Stephen Gionta set a new career high in points with 30 (14g-16a). His previous high of 29 (16g-13a) came during the 2007-08 campaign...The 34 assists compiled by both Cory Murphy and Matt Taormina is the second-most in team history (41 - Petr Vrana, 2007-08)...Taormina ranks seventh among rookies and defensemen in scoring with 44 points (10g- 34a).
The Devils host the Monarchs on Wednesday night for the ninth match in the ten-game in the season series. Lowell has won six of eight games against the Monarchs this season. Manchester has posted one win in its last seven games (1-4-1-1) and currently sits in fourth place in the division with 79 points. Monarchs goaltender Jonathan Bernier leads the league in shutouts (8) and save percentage (.935).
Lowell then hosts the Springfield Falcons on Friday for the eighth and final time this season. The Devils lead the season series 4-3-0-0 and have taken two of three on home ice. These two teams last matched up on March 6, with Springfield coming away a 7-5 winner at the Mass Mutual Center. Springfield is currently eighth in the division with 62 points (24-34-11-3) and only eight games left on the schedule. G Mike McKenna has all four wins for the Devils against the Falcons this season and only one loss.
To round out the week, the Devils host the red-hot Bridgeport Sound Tigers, who have not lost in regulation since March 2 (7-0-1-0). Bridgeport holds the Atlantic Division cross-over spot in the AHL playoff hunt. The Sound Tigers have a 34-27-4-6 record for 78 points. Lowell is 3-1-1-1 versus Bridgeport after a shootout loss, 3-2, on Feb. 17 at the Arena at Harbor Yard. Mike Radja has seven points (3g-4a) in eight games since being traded from the Syracuse Crunch.
Upcoming Promotions/In the Community
- Friday, March 26
o Devil Dawg will be visiting the Hampstead Academy in Hampstead, NH at 2:15 to help kick-off their school night later this season.
o The first 2,500 fans in attendance will receive a free "As Seen on TV- product, courtesy of Telebrands.
- Saturday, March 27
o Devil Dawg will be attending Fitness for a Cure at the St. Jude's School in Waltham, MA from 1:00PM - 3:00PM.
- Sunday, March 28 - Devils vs. Sound Tigers, 4:00PM
o The first 2,000 fans in attendance will receive a Jay Leach Bobblehead, courtesy of Pepsi.
o Ladies Night to benefit the Mary Kay Foundation.
o Free post-game skate on the Tsongas Center ice.
Mar. 17, 2010 - D Chris Murray returned on loan to Trenton (ECHL).
C David McIntyre signed to an amateur try-out agreement.
Leaders for Lowell
- Goals: Nick Palmieri (21)
- Assists: Cory Murphy, Matt Taormina (34)
- Points: Ben Walter (49)
- PIM: Louis Robitaille (272)
- Plus/Minus: Rob Davison, Tyler Eckford (+11)
- Wins: Mike McKenna (21)
- GAA: Mike McKenna (2.36)
- Save %: Mike McKenna (.925)
American Hockey League Stories from March 23, 2010
- Admirals Top Stars 3-2 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Bulldogs Defeated 3-2 By Moose - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Moose Top Bulldogs, 3-2 - Manitoba Moose
- Admirals Hang On To Edge Stars 3-2 - Texas Stars
- Alex Stalock Sets AHL Record, Sharks Win 3-1 - Worcester Sharks
- Crunch Wiped Out by Worcester - Syracuse Crunch
- Jackson Stewart From The Hannah Montana Show To Appear At Rampage Game - San Antonio Rampage
- Wolf Pack Sign Defenseman Lee Baldwin To ATO - Connecticut Whale
- Monarchs Release Bates - Manchester Monarchs
- Falcons Announce Multiple Player Moves - Springfield Falcons
- Adirondack Ends Hershey's Home Winning Streak On Sunday - Adirondack Phantoms
- Silver Medalist To Sign Autographs Saturday, Hawks To Honor IceHogs Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- Spaling Recalled From Admirals - Milwaukee Admirals
- Week Twenty Six: Chad Continues Chipping In - Syracuse Crunch
- B-Sens Weekly - Binghamton Senators
- Albany Signs Mike McKenzie To ATO - Albany River Rats
- Wolves Send Galivan To Gwinnett - Chicago Wolves
- Marlies Win Both Games Over the Weekend; Extend Winning Streak to Four Games - Toronto Marlies
- Admirals Enter Pivotal Week For Playoff Hopes - Norfolk Admirals
- Brett Sutter Recalled To Calgary Flames - Abbotsford Heat
- Crunch Recall Goaltender Dan Taylor - Syracuse Crunch
- Wolves Playoff Tickets On Sale Thursday - Chicago Wolves
- Devils Weekly - Albany Devils
- Griffins Sign Brandon Wong To ATO - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rivermen Weekly - Peoria Rivermen
- Pirates Weekly - Portland Pirates
- Marlies Recall Forward Alex Berry From Reading - Toronto Marlies
- Rats Stumble, Remain In Second - Albany River Rats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.