Salmon Kings Shantz And Ellington Named To 2010 ECHL All-Star GameDecember 30, 2009 - ECHL (ECHL) Victoria Salmon Kings
Shantz, under contract to the AHL's Abbotsford Heat, has been named as the starting goaltender for the National Conference, and makes his second All-Star Game appearance after representing the Florida Everblades in the 2007 contest. The native of Burlington, Ontario holds a record of 8-2-3 in 14 games played, along with a league-leading 0.927 save percentage. Shantz is also second among goaltenders in goals against average (2.35) and is tied for the league-lead in shutouts with two.
Ellington, a Victoria, BC native, will appear in his first ECHL All-Star game in his rookie professional season. In 22 games played this year he has registered two goals and nine assists for 11 points while tallying 16 minutes in penalties. The defenseman is under contract to the Vancouver Canucks of the National Hockey League.
Shantz and Ellington become the ninth and tenth Salmon Kings players respectively to participate in the mid-season event following Brad Dexter (2005), Steve Lingren (2006), Milan Gajic (2007) Ash Goldie (2008), Julien Ellis (2008), Wes Goldie (2009), Dylan Yeo (2009), and Dan Gendur (2009). Salmon Kings General Manager and Head Coach Mark Morrison has also participated in the ECHL All-Star Game as a coach in both 2008 and 2009.
The 2010 ECHL All-Star Game presented by Reebok Hockey and brought to you by Toyota and the City of Ontario will be hosted by the Ontario Reign at Citizens Business Bank Arena and played on Jan. 20, 2010 while the 2010 ECHL All-Star Skills Competition will be held on Jan. 19, 2010.
There are 11 rookies on the National Conference and 18 of the 21 players are making their first appearance in an ECHL All-Star Game.
There have been 58 players from the All-Star Game who have gone on to play in the National Hockey League, including 33 since 2002 when the lineups began having players who coaches felt were prospects to move up to a higher level.
The starting lineups are determined in voting by National Conference coaches, team captains, media directors, broadcasters and media members. Coaches also submitted the top prospects from within their conference to determine the final roster with each of the nine teams having a representative.
The Salmon Kings are in Salt Lake City to begin a five-game road trip and will begin by taking on the Utah Grizzlies in a mini two-game set with contests tonight and tomorrow, Thursday, December 31, 2009. Victoria will then finish the trip with a three-game series in Alaska (January 2nd, 3rd, and 4th). The Salmon Kings then return home to play host to the Idaho Steelheads for a two-game set on January 8th and 9th. Puck drop for both games is 7:05. For tickets, call 250-220-7777 or visit www.selectyourtickets.com.
ECHL Stories from December 30, 2009
- Salmon Kings Net Win Over Grizzlies, Win Streak Extends To Nine Games - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Nailers Knock Off Royals, 3-2 - Reading Royals
- Chiefs Earn Redemption In Trenton 2-1 - Trenton Devils
- Chiefs Torment Trenton - Johnstown Chiefs
- Nailers Win 3-2 At Reading For Third Straight Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Nailers With Back To Back Action Wednesday And Thursday - Wheeling Nailers
- Four Reign Players Named To ECHL All-Star Roster - Ontario Reign
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Salmon Kings Shantz And Ellington Named To 2010 ECHL All-Star Game - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Condors Land Four On All Star Team - Bakersfield Condors
- Four Steelheads Selected For ECHL All Star Game - Idaho Steelheads
- Daavettila Returns From Phantoms - Kalamazoo Wings
- Lammers, Mazzolini Land ECHL All-Star Berths - Alaska Aces
- National Conference Roster Announced For ECHL All-Star Game - ECHL
- Thunder's Judd Blackwater Headed To 2010 ECHL All-Star Game - Stockton Thunder
- Cyclones Loan Benson, Receive Van Guilder - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Ryan Cruthers Sher-Wood Hockey ECHL Player Of The Week - Reading Royals
- Ryan Kinasewich, AJ Perry And Vic Bartley Named ECHL All-Stars - Utah Grizzlies
- Reading's Cruthers Named Sher-Wood Hockey ECHL Player Of The Week - ECHL
- Ducks Reassign De Gray To Rochester - Bakersfield Condors
- ECHL Names Zavatsky Manager Of Hockey Operations - ECHL
- Holt Recalled From Jackals - Elmira Jackals
- Stingrays Sign Goaltender Connelly - South Carolina Stingrays
- Vegas Tops Idaho In Annual "Midnight Game" At The Orleans Arena - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Wranglers Snip Steelheads In Midnight Game, 3-1 - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Nailers Acquire Zack Sill - Wheeling Nailers
- 7,586 fans enjoy Pitton's 24 saves, Thunder's fourth straight win vs. Bakersfield - Stockton Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.