Admirals Top GriffinsDecember 28, 2009 - American Hockey League (AHL) Milwaukee Admirals
Not until 8:33 of the first period was the first penalty called, as Grand Rapids' Andy Delmore was whistled for interference, providing Milwaukee with its first power-play opportunity of the game.
The Admirals were able to get on the scoreboard first, converting on the ensuing power-play with a goal by Peter Olvecky. As Robert Dietrich passed the puck from the near blue line to Mark Santorelli in the slot. Parked in front of Grand Rapids goalie Thomas McCollum, Santorelli caused him to commit to the right side allowing Santorelli to find Olvecky, who put the puck between the posts at 10:19 of the opening period.
The Admirals scored again with 7:31 remaining in the first period, as Chris Mueller beat McCollum between the legs on a breakaway, courtesy of a beautiful outlet pass by defenseman Alexander Sulzer. Mueller's goal put the Admirals up 2-0 over the Griffins where it would stay for the remainder of the first period.
The second period opened up with another Milwaukee goal as McCollum was beat again, this time by Triston Grant at 4:36 of the first on a pass from across the slot by Ben Guite. Putting Milwaukee up 3-0, Grant's goal would ultimately be the game-winning tally against the Griffins.
A Grand Rapids slashing penalty on defenseman Paul Crosty sent the Admirals on the man-advantage at 5:44 of the second, setting the Admirals up for their fourth goal of the game as Alex Sulzer lit the lamp on a shot from the far point, assisted by Guite and Mark Santorelli at 6:50.
With the Griffins netminder allowing four goals just halfway through the game, Grand Rapids coach Curt Fraser pulled McCollum in favor of Daniel Larsson. The Griffins seemed to draw some momentum from the change in goal and within minutes, right-winger Francis Pare scored an unassisted goal for Grand Rapids, bringing the score to 4-1 at 8:57 of the second.
Following the Griffins goal, the Admirals successfully killed off a hooking penalty that sent Scott Ford to the box, but Grand Rapids swiftly followed up with another goal as former Admiral John Vigilante deflected a Ryan Stokes shot past Admirals goaltender Mark Dekanich. The goal pulled the Grifs to within two heading into the final period.
Despite a very active two periods of play, the third period featured only one goal. Milwaukee marked their final tally of the night with a goal by alternate captain Ben Guite at 8:26. Guite held the puck just long enough to get Larsson to commit and the beat the Griffins netminder glove side to put the game out of reach.
Dekanich turned aside 20 of 22 shots to earn his ninth win of the season. In his first game since being reassigned by the Predators, Sulzer notched a goal and an assist for the Ads, while Cal O'Reilly picked up an assist to run his point streak to eight games.
The Admirals return to action Tuesday night when they play host to the Rockford IceHogs at 7:00 pm at the Bradley Center. Tickets for the game can be purchased by calling Ticketmaster at (800) 745-3000 or online at www.ticketmaster.com. Groups of ten or more can receive $2 off the face value of each ticket by calling the Admirals office at (414) 227-0550.
American Hockey League Stories from December 28, 2009
- Houston Aeros Top Syracuse Crunch 5-4 In Overtime - Houston Aeros
- Admirals Top Griffins - Milwaukee Admirals
- Moose Edge Heat 2-1 In Shootout - Abbotsford Heat
- Bulldogs Defeat The Marlies 5-2 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Moose Sweep Heat In Shootout - Manitoba Moose
- Crunch Grounded by Aeros in Overtime - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Suffer 5-2 Loss In Milwaukee - Grand Rapids Griffins
- University School, Arrowhead To Meet In RBC Shootout Finals - Milwaukee Admirals
- Phantoms Comeback Falls Short In Wilkes-Barre 4-3 - Adirondack Phantoms
- Texas Sends Bachman Back To Idaho - Texas Stars
- Hershey Storms into 2010 with AHL's Best Record - Hershey Bears
- Canucks Recall Alexandre Bolduc - Manitoba Moose
- Maxime Tanguay Reassigned To Toledo - Rockford IceHogs
- AHL Preparing for Another Maine Event - AHL
- Columbus Blue Jackets Acquire Defenseman Milan Jurcina And Right Wing Chris Clark From Washington In - Syracuse Crunch
- Rampage To Host Ugly Holiday Sweater Night This Wednesday - San Antonio Rampage
- Pirates Weekly - Portland Pirates
- Admirals Seek Revenge In Pivotal East Division Tilts This Week - Norfolk Admirals
- Riendeau Assigned To Providence - Providence Bruins
- Week Thirteen: The Strong, Silent Type - Syracuse Crunch
- Rivermen Weekly - Peoria Rivermen
- Wolf Pack Weekly - Connecticut Whale
- Worcester Sharks Have Bite Heading Into The New Year - Worcester Sharks
- Wolves Send Sipotz To Gwinnett - Chicago Wolves
- Falcons Sign Rob Hisey To PTO Contract - Springfield Falcons
- Buy Tickets To Send A Kid To An Amerks Game - Rochester Americans
- Hogs Sweep Week 13, Bickell Returns, Hog Talk Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- Lake Erie's Darren Haydar Named Reebok/AHL Player Of The Week - AHL
- Parse West, Elkins East - Manchester Monarchs
- Wolves Weekly Notes - Chicago Wolves
- Toronto Marlies Weekly - Toronto Marlies
- Sulzer Reassigned To Milwaukee - Milwaukee Admirals
- Monarchs Weekly Report - Manchester Monarchs
- Lightning Return Goaltender Riku Helenius To Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- Moose Beat Heat In Week 13 - Manitoba Moose
- Phantoms Weekly - Adirondack Phantoms
- Amerks Reading Power Play Features Three Visits This Week - Rochester Americans
- Moose Release Mark McCutcheon - Manitoba Moose
- Crunch Downed in Chocolate Town - Syracuse Crunch
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.