Two Oil Kings Will Compete In The Subway Super SeriesOctober 29, 2009 - Western Hockey League (WHL) Edmonton Oil Kings
"It's an excellent opportunity for our guys and they have worked hard to get where they are," says Oil Kings Head Coach Steve Pleau. "They deserve a shot to represent their country and it also gives them a chance to gauge themselves at that level."
Pysyk is eligible for the NHL Draft in 2010 and is projected as a possible top 10 pick. He is looking forward to getting more international experience. The 17 year old skated with Hockey Canada's Gold Medal winning Under 18 team at the Ivan Hlinka Tournament in the Czech Republic this past summer.
"I am excited, I had no idea I was being considered for this team," says the 17 year old. "It will be great to skate with some of the guys I played with this summer against the Russians."
For Raedeke, this will be his first chance to play in an International event of this magnitude. His stock is definitely on the rise since the Oil Kings snapped him up in an expansion draft deal with Regina. Raedeke recently signed a pro contract with the Detroit Red Wings and he is the leading scorer on the team with 18 points.
"This is going to be a cool opportunity," said the 19 year old. "I am a late bloomer. I got a great opportunity to get more ice time here with Edmonton and it has helped me develop as a player."
The SUBWAY© Super Series is used by Hockey Canada as an evaluation tool for the upcoming World Junior Hockey Championships, so both players will be looking to impress. For more information on the SUBWAY© Super Series, visit the Western Hockey League website at www.whl.com.
Western Hockey League Stories from October 29, 2009
- Cowen And Koper Named To Team WHL - Spokane Chiefs
- Two Oil Kings Will Compete In The Subway Super Series - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Brett Ponich To Play For Team WHL In The 2009 Subway Super Series - Portland Winterhawks
- Two Pats To Play In Subway Super Series - Regina Pats
- Raiders To Wear Special Jerseys For Cancer Awareness Night Tomorrow - Prince Albert Raiders
- WHL This Week: Looking Ahead... - WHL
- Cougars & Hubbell Designer Goldsmiths Announce Player Of The Month - Prince George Cougars
- Myers to stick with Sabres of the NHL - Kelowna Rockets
- Kelowna players named to Team WHL in Subway Super Series - Kelowna Rockets
- Shinnimin To Compete For Team WHL At Subway Super Series - Tri-City Americans
- Brett Connolly To Take Part In 2009 Subway Super Series - Prince George Cougars
- Pair Of Broncos Make Team WHL - Swift Current Broncos
- Ashton Selected For Team WHL - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Blades Send Two To Subway Super Series - Saskatoon Blades
- Team WHL Rosters Announced For Subway Super Series - WHL
- Western Canada Under-16 Challenge Cup Begins Today - WHL
- Wheat Kings Edge The Chiefs - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Calgary Hitmen Open BC Road Trip With 4-1 Loss In Kelowna - Calgary Hitmen
- Everett Takes Down Kootenay, 4-1 - Everett Silvertips
- Gore's 44 Saves Snap Americans Win Streak - Tri-City Americans
- Rockets Defeat Calgary - Kelowna Rockets
- Beach Has Hat Trick, Chiefs Drop Decision - Spokane Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.