Wheat Kings Edge The ChiefsOctober 29, 2009 - Western Hockey League (WHL) Brandon Wheat Kings
The Wheat Kings rallied from a 3-1 first period deficit to beat the Chiefs 5-4, which represented Brandon's first victory at the rink since the building was opened in 1995.
Brayden Schenn scored a pair of third period goals for the Wheat Kings including the winning goal with 5:18 left in the final frame, which came just 22 seconds after Kyle Beach had tied the game 4-4 with his hat-trick goal for Spokane.
"He can be looking at you, not move a muscle and all of sudden, it's off his stick and it's going where he wants it to go," said Brandon GM/Coach Kelly McCrimmon on CKLQ's post-game show, "He can never shoot too much for me."
Jay Fehr, with his fifth in the last three games, Scott Glennie and Aaron Lewadniuk also scored for the Wheat Kings, who were outshot 30-25.
Wednesday's game was the final one of the U.S. Division portion of the road trip, with the club finishing with a 3-1-0-1 record and collecting seven of a possible eight points over their last four games.
The game also marked the Brandon debut of newly acquired forward Paul Van de Velde. The 19-year old Mariapolis product was obtained from the Everett Silvertips for a conditional bantam draft choice on Tuesday.
Brandon improves their overall record to 9-6-0-2, good for 20 points and tied with Moose Jaw for second-place in the East Division, two points behind the first-place Saskatoon Blades and just four back of the Conference-leading Calgary Hitmen.
The Wheat Kings continue their road trip on Friday night in Cranbrook against the Kootenay Ice.
Western Hockey League Stories from October 29, 2009
- Cowen And Koper Named To Team WHL - Spokane Chiefs
- Two Oil Kings Will Compete In The Subway Super Series - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Brett Ponich To Play For Team WHL In The 2009 Subway Super Series - Portland Winterhawks
- Two Pats To Play In Subway Super Series - Regina Pats
- Raiders To Wear Special Jerseys For Cancer Awareness Night Tomorrow - Prince Albert Raiders
- WHL This Week: Looking Ahead... - WHL
- Cougars & Hubbell Designer Goldsmiths Announce Player Of The Month - Prince George Cougars
- Myers to stick with Sabres of the NHL - Kelowna Rockets
- Kelowna players named to Team WHL in Subway Super Series - Kelowna Rockets
- Shinnimin To Compete For Team WHL At Subway Super Series - Tri-City Americans
- Brett Connolly To Take Part In 2009 Subway Super Series - Prince George Cougars
- Pair Of Broncos Make Team WHL - Swift Current Broncos
- Ashton Selected For Team WHL - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Blades Send Two To Subway Super Series - Saskatoon Blades
- Team WHL Rosters Announced For Subway Super Series - WHL
- Western Canada Under-16 Challenge Cup Begins Today - WHL
- Wheat Kings Edge The Chiefs - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Calgary Hitmen Open BC Road Trip With 4-1 Loss In Kelowna - Calgary Hitmen
- Everett Takes Down Kootenay, 4-1 - Everett Silvertips
- Gore's 44 Saves Snap Americans Win Streak - Tri-City Americans
- Rockets Defeat Calgary - Kelowna Rockets
- Beach Has Hat Trick, Chiefs Drop Decision - Spokane Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.