Phantoms Earn Point With Late Goal In Front Of Sellout CrowdOctober 17, 2009 - American Hockey League (AHL) Adirondack Phantoms
The tempo of the first period can only be described as a break-neck pace. Both teams were flying around the ice, dishing out bone-crunching hits, fierce slap shots and several extra curricular activities ensued. Just as it looked as though the first twenty minutes would elapse without a goal, Nick Dodge jumped on a loose puck in the high slot and snapped a shot past a screened Johan Backlund to give Albany a 1-0 lead at 18:20.
Albany was awarded their fourth power play of the game with 11.1 seconds left in the first period, meaning that they had 1:49 of the advantage carrying over into the second frame. But Adirondack killed off the penalty and used that to build momentum. The Phantoms out-shot the River Rats 13-4 in the period, but could not find a way past goaltender Justin Peters.
The pace of the game continued in the third period, but time was against the Phantoms and with the clock winding down it seemed that Albany was heading for a clean sheet. But Krys Kolanos had other ideas as he tied the game at 17:35 by scoring his first goal of the year, his 100th career AHL goal, squeezing a shot through Peters' pads and over the goal line to bring the sellout crowd to its feet. Albany out-shot Adirondack 12-6 in the third period, but could not beat Backlund a second time and the game went to an extra period.
The clash of these two rivals continued in overtime, but as they approached the halfway point of the five-minute session, Bryan Rodney recovered from nearly being stripped of the puck and connected with Jerome Samson on the back post for a one-timer at 2:21 to give the River Rats the two-point victory and the early lead in the Time Warner Cable Cup series.
Justin Peters recorded his third win of the season as he stopped 31-of-32 shots to lift Albany to 4-1-0-0 on the year. Johan Backlund finished the game with 26 saves on 28 shots, but was tagged with an overtime loss as Adirondack gained a point in standings and remained at .500 (2-2-1-0). The Phantoms out-shot the River Rats 32-28 in the game, while both teams finished 0-for-5 on the power play.
Adirondack completes their weekend schedule on Sunday, October 18th as they travel to Connecticut for a 4:00 pm face off with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers at the Arena at Harbor Yard. The Phantoms next home game is set for Friday, October 23rd as they host the Hartford Wolf Pack, the New York Rangers AHL affiliate, at 7:30 pm at the Glens Falls Civic Center.
The Time Warner Cable Cup Four-Pack is now on sale at the Phantoms office, starting as low as $56. 2009-10 Phantoms full and partial season ticket packages are still available for the 2009-10 season presented by Bud Light. For more information please contact the Adirondack Phantoms at (518) 480-3355 or online at www.phantomshockey.com.
American Hockey League Stories from October 17, 2009
- Monsters earn convincing win - Lake Erie Monsters
- Rivermen Can't Hold Off IceHogs - Peoria Rivermen
- Griffins lose to Rampage - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage return home with victory - San Antonio Rampage
- Bulldogs bite Wolves - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Wolves nipped by Bulldogs - Chicago Wolves
- Texas gets past Aeros - Texas Stars
- Hogs host big comeback - Rockford IceHogs
- Bernier-Holloway Shake Things Up In The Jungle - Manchester Monarchs
- Falcons Beat The Wolf Pack 2-1 - Remain Perfect At Home 3-0 - Springfield Falcons
- Aeros Fall to Stars 5-1 - Houston Aeros
- Phantoms Earn Point With Late Goal In Front Of Sellout Crowd - Adirondack Phantoms
- Bears stun Sens in OT - Binghamton Senators
- Sharks fall to Devils in home opener - Worcester Sharks
- Admirals win over Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Moose downed by Lake Erie - Manitoba Moose
- Crunch Earn First Road Point of the Season - Syracuse Crunch
- Falcons win over Wolf Pack - Connecticut Whale
- Rats Blast Phantoms In Overtime 2-1 - Albany River Rats
- Tokarski, Admirals Hand Sound Tigers First Loss Of Season - Norfolk Admirals
- Bernier Blanks Pirates - Portland Pirates
- OT Winner Caps Incredible Comeback - Rochester Americans
- Guite Reassigned To Admirals - Milwaukee Admirals
- Crunch Sign Defenseman Kevin Roeder - Syracuse Crunch
- Kings Recall Moller - Manchester Monarchs
- Marlies Sign Goaltender Beau Erickson To PTO Contract - Toronto Marlies
- Marlies Announce 2009-10 Tv Schedule - Toronto Marlies
- Canucks Recall Alexandre Bolduc - Manitoba Moose
- Falcons Host The Wolf Pack Saturday Night - Springfield Falcons
- Aeros Defeat Rampage 5-2 - Houston Aeros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.