Patrosso Returns To Port Huron IcehawksOctober 16, 2009 - International Hockey League 2 (IHL 2) Port Huron Icehawks
In other roster moves, the Icehawks released defenseman George Halkidis and forward Billy Burke as they prepare to open the 2009-10 season tomorrow versus Fort Wayne.
Patrosso played with the Icehawks last season, but his rights were traded to the Flint Generals (effective at the end of the 08-09 season) as part of a deal that sent Jeff Zehr to Flint in exchange for Steve Rymsha. Flint recently traded Patrosso's rights to Bloomington in exchange for future considerations.
Patrosso (6-1, 195) had a breakout rookie season in Port Huron, tallying 43 points (17g, 26a) in 68 games. His standout season caught the attention of the Toledo Walleye in the ECHL and the Rockford IceHogs in the American Hockey League, who both invited him to training camp. He was released by Toledo earlier this week.
Before he turned professional, the 24-year old native of Northville, MI played four seasons with Colorado College and two seasons of junior hockey in the United States Hockey League.
"We are excited Derek will be returning to Port Huron," Head Coach/General Manager Stan Drulia said. "He is a hard working forward who can play in any situation. He had a great rookie season with us and we expect him to only get better this year."
Patrosso will not be in the lineup tomorrow when the Icehawks open the season versus the Fort Wayne Komets, but is expected to join the team next week. Carroll, who opened the season with the Texas Brahmas in the Central Hockey League, is also slated to report to Bloomington next week.
The Icehawks open the 2009-10 regular season on Saturday at McMorran Arena at 7:30 p.m. Celebrate before the game at a free tailgate party in front of McMorran from 5 p.m. - 7 p.m. Single game tickets are on sale now at the McMorran Arena Box Office, any Ticket Master location or by phone. For more information, call 810-966-3800.
International Hockey League 2 Stories from October 16, 2009
- Mallards Place Tremblay On Inactive List, Maier Returns - Quad City Mallards
- Generals Take Season Opener With Win Over Lumberjacks - Flint Generals
- Mallards Join Forces with Hardee's - Quad City Mallards
- Patrosso Returns To Port Huron Icehawks - Port Huron Icehawks
- PrairieThunder obtains Carroll in trade - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Generals To Be Visited In Opener By New IHL Commissioner - Flint Generals
- Komets Begin Defense Of The Turner Cup Tonight At Dayton's Hara Arena - Fort Wayne Komets
- Lipsett, Goulet, Gasper To Serve As Mallards Alternate Captains - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.