Barons Outlast Lookouts, 9-5September 3, 2009 - Southern League (SL) Chattanooga Lookouts
CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. - Chattanooga kept pace with the Barons throughout most of Thursday night's contest, but the Barons ultimately broke through in the later innings to come away with the 9-5 win at AT&T Field.
The Barons wasted little time getting ahead, as John Shelby led off the game with a solo shot. Birmingham manufactured another run in the first, when C.J. Retherford singled and eventually found his way home on a Javier Colina ground out to third baseman Vinny Rottino.
The Lookouts countered in the second with three runs. Back-to-back singles from Eddy Perez and Lucas May prefaced an RBI double from Russ Mitchell. Vinny Rottino followed with a RBI single, and a Juan Gonzalez double play resulted in Mitchell also crossing the plate.
The Lookouts' efforts were quickly negated in the third, as a three-run shot by Dayan Viciedo put the Barons up, 5-3. Trayvon Robinson helped the Lookouts by hitting a run-resulting triple in the fifth inning and an RBI ground out in the seventh to tie-up the game, 5-5.
The Lookouts' attempts, however, proved to be nothing more than a Sisyphean effort, as the Barons, once again, took the lead in the eighth. With one out and runners on first and second for Birmingham, Lee Cruz seemingly hit into an inning-ending double play, but a ruled catcher interference by Lucas May nullified the play and loaded the bases. Jared Price made the Lookouts pay by subsequently hitting a two-RBI single to give the Barons a 7-5 lead. A two-run homer from David Cook gave the Barons two more insurance runs and a 9-5 lead.
Clevelan Senteliz shut the door on the Lookouts in the ninth and preserved the lead for Thomas Mabee (2-2), who threw 1.2 shutout innings in relief. Jesus Castillo (7-9) took the loss for the Lookouts. In 2.1 innings of relief, he surrendered two runs (one earned) on one hit and one walk.
The Chattanooga Lookouts and Birmingham Barons will continue their five-game series at 7:15 P.M., tomorrow. Tickets for this game or any other Lookouts home game can be purchased at the Lookouts Box Office at AT&T Field, online at www.lookouts.com, or by calling (423) 267-4849.
Southern League Stories from September 3, 2009
- Six run fifth pushes Jaxx back even with Smokies atop Division - Jackson Generals
- Tupman's Three Hits Carry BayBears over Biscuits - Mobile BayBears
- Carolina Holds off Braves with Late Run - Carolina Mudcats
- BayBears Hold Off Biscuits in Opener, 5-4 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Jaxx Rally Past Smokies 8-3 - Tennessee Smokies
- Suns Blank Stars on Thursday - Jacksonville Suns
- Barons Outlast Lookouts, 9-5 - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Suns Shut Down Stars to Start Series - Huntsville Stars
- Colvin wins Topps Award - Tennessee Smokies
- Three Additions for M-Braves - Mississippi Braves
- Final Homestand at Hank Aaron Stadium Starts Tonight - Mobile BayBears
- Jaxx Update - Jackson Generals
- Augenstein Back to Phoenix - Mobile BayBears
- Krebs Promoted to Louisville; Beal to Sarasota - Carolina Mudcats
- Topps Southern League Player of the Month Award - SL
- Eldridge Promoted to Durham - Montgomery Biscuits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.