Lake Monsters Split Double-HeaderJuly 30, 2009 - New York-Penn League (NYPL) Vermont Lake Monsters
Soriano reached on a bunt single with one out in the seventh, moved to second on a J.J. Sferra single and then stole third base before Nicol laid down a squeeze bunt down the first-base line that scored Soriano to snap Vermont's five-game losing streak.
Game two Lake Monster starter Pat Lehman allowed four hits over six scoreless innings before Steven Stewart took over in the seventh inning. After recording the first two outs, Stewart walked Eric Roof and then gave up a game-tying RBI double to Luis Palacios on an 0-2 pitch to score pinch runner Carmelo Jaime.
John Murrian snapped a 1-1 tie with a solo homer to lead off the fifth inning as the Tigers took the first game 3-1. Murrian, who beat the Lake Monsters with a game-ending grand slam homer on Tuesday in the Tigers 9-5 win over Vermont, smacked a 3-2 pitch from starter Jack McGeary over the leftfield fence for a 2-1 Oneonta lead. The Tigers added an unearned run later in the inning for a two-run advantage.
Vermont had taken a 1-0 lead in the second inning on a Sandy Leon RBI single, but the Tigers tied the game at one in the third as McGeary hit a batter and walked three others in the inning. McGeary (2-2) allowed three runs (two earned) on three hits over four innings that also included a team season-high seven walks and four strikeouts.
Michael Morrison (1-0) gave up one hit and struckout four in three scoreless innings of relief for the win, while Kenny Faulk tossed a scoreless seventh inning for his eighth save of the year. The contest took two hours and 35 minutes, making it the longest seven-inning game in Lake Monsters history.
The homestand continues for Vermont (20-20) as the Lake Monsters host the Lowell Spinners on Friday and Saturday night at Centennial beginning at 7:05 pm.
New York-Penn League Stories from July 30, 2009
- Lake Monsters Split Double-Header - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Spikes Split Double-Header with Spikes - State College Spikes
- Cutters Winning Streak Snapped - Williamsport Crosscutters
- 'Birds Bounce Back, Win 3-1 - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Spikes Take Game One From Jammers - State College Spikes
- Spikes Highlight Green Efforts During All-Star Game - State College Spikes
- Special $5.00 Ticket Offer & Fins to the Left Concert - Mahoning Valley Scrappers
- IronBirds Game Notes July 30th - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Thursday Doubleheader Details - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Muckdogs Return Home Next Week - Batavia Muckdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.