AerodynamicsJuly 29, 2009 - Eastern League (EL) Akron Aeros
About Last Night...The Aeros were fantastic on both sides of the ball once again last night, getting a quality start from RHP Jeanmar Gomez and scoring in four straight innings to close the game en route to a 7-4 triumph over Erie. The win marked the first time all year the Aeros have won back-to-back games against the SeaWolves, and also pushed Akron's lead in the Southern Division back up to five games. The teams traded single-run rallies in the early going, but the Aeros took the lead for good with three runs in the bottom of the sixth thanks to the All-Star trio in the middle of the order. LF Nick Weglarz started the inning with a four-pitch walk, C Carlos Santana advanced him to second with a base hit, and 1B Beau Mills then surprised everyone with a bunt single that SeaWolves pitcher Pat Stanley and second baseman Shawn Roof both misplayed on run-scoring throwing errors. Erie cut the lead to 6-4 with two unearned runs in the top of the eighth, but a triple and an RBI fielder's choice in the bottom of the frame gave the Aeros some breathing room and RHP Carlton Smith retired the side in order in the ninth.
Home, Sweet Home...Gomez made just two mistakes last night, as a pair of solo home runs did all the damage against him over his seven innings of work. He limited Erie to just four hits on the night, did not walk a batter, and tied his season-high with eight strikeouts (one shy of his career-high). Gomez also improved to 5-2 with a 2.05 ERA in nine starts at home the season, as enemy batters are hitting just .209 against him at Canal Park. The native of Caracas, VZ delivered his eighth quality start in 16 appearances for Akron, defeated Erie for the first time in three tries, and did not allow a walk for the second time in three starts.
Topeka's Finest...3B Jerad Head continues to shine since returning for the disabled list Sunday, going 2-4 with a triple, a homer, two runs scored and an RBI last night to extend his hitting streak to a season-high seven games. The native of Topeka, KS is hitting .353 (18-51) over his last 15 games, and now leads the club with a .290 batting average.
Hot Potato...Two other Aeros who are getting into nice grooves are Santana and 2B Cristo Arnal, as both are riding season-high six-game hitting streaks entering play this evening. Santana finished 2-4 with an RBI double last night and is batting .500 (9-18) with six extra-base hits, six runs scored, and seven RBI over his streak. Even though he missed a chance to set a franchise record with a home run in his fifth straight game last night, the native of Santo Domingo, DR is enjoying his best month of the season with a .293 average, eight homers and 23 RBI in 23 games in July. Arnal, meanwhile, is hitting .292 (7-24) and has swiped four bases over his six-game run.
Roster Moves...To make room for Graham, the Aeros transferred Gomez to Class A Mahoning Valley (although he should still make his next start Sunday at Binghamton). IF Jared Goedert was originally placed on the DL, but he will now stay active.
Eastern League Stories from July 29, 2009
- Tanaka Trounces Defenders - Bowie Baysox
- Fisher Cats Hang on for 5-4 Win over Rock Cats - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Defenders Fall to Baysox - Connecticut Defenders
- Aeros Bullpen Key in 5-1 Victory over Erie - Akron Aeros
- Portland Out Powered by Reading, lose 6-5 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Newly Aquired Right-Hander to Play for Curve - Altoona Curve
- B-Mets Rained Out in Altoona Wednesday Night - Binghamton Mets
- Game Postponed - Altoona Curve
- Sens and Trenton Thunder Rained Out Wednesday Night - Harrisburg Senators
- Doubleheader Postponed - Trenton Thunder
- Free Soccer Balls Tonight! - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Aerodynamics - Akron Aeros
- The Force Is Strong In Bowie, Baysox Host Star Wars Night - Bowie Baysox
- Akron Aeros Revised Roster Move - Akron Aeros
- Erie SeaWolves at Akron Aeros...Game Three of Four - Erie SeaWolves
- Aeros Place Goedert on DL; Activate Graham - Akron Aeros
- Rock Cats Set for Weekend Homestand - New Britain Rock Cats
- Pirates' Phil Dumatrait to Rehab With Curve on Friday - Altoona Curve
- Wild Night Ends In Defeat For Baysox - Bowie Baysox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.