Brent Thompson named Head Coach of the Alaska AcesJuly 23, 2009 - ECHL (ECHL) - Alaska Aces Press Release
The 38-year-old Thompson has spent the last four years as an assistant coach with Alaska's American Hockey League affiliate, the Peoria Rivermen, the last of which in 2008-09 under former Aces bench boss Davis Payne. His 14-year pro playing career includes 121 games in the National Hockey League with Los Angeles, Winnipeg, and Phoenix.
The Kings selected the Calgary native with the 39th overall pick in the second round of the 1989 NHL Entry Draft, and Thompson made the big club two years later, eventually scoring his first NHL goal in an 8-3 win over Tom Barrasso and the Pittsburgh Penguins on November 6, 1993, assisted by Wayne Gretzky and Luc Robitaille, the top two scorers for L.A. that year.
Thompson played 30 games for the 1993 Los Angeles club that advanced to the Stanley Cup Finals and his teams reached the Calder Cup semi-finals on four separate occasions ('97 Springfield, '98 Hartford, '01 Hershey, '05 Providence). He served as captain, co-captain, or assistant captain in each of his last eight years as a player.
A hard-hitting, 6-2, 210-pound defenseman in his playing days, Thompson earned a berth in the 1992 IHL All-Star Game as a rookie with the Phoenix Roadrunners and, while in Hartford (AHL), won the 1999 Yannick Dupre Memorial Award for his outstanding contributions to local community and charitable organizations. Thompson and his wife, Kim, along with their two sons, Tage and Tyce, will relocate to Anchorage from Peoria in the coming weeks.
The Aces open the 2009-10 regular season at home against Victoria October 16, 17 and 19, with all three games scheduled for a 7:15 p.m. start. Pre-season games on October 7 and 8 will be announced on Monday, July 27. For those interested in season ticket or corporate sponsorship information, regular office hours at the corner of 15th and Gambell are Monday through Friday between 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
ECHL Stories from July 23, 2009
- Reebok Hockey Is ECHL All-Star Game Presenting Sponsor - ECHL
- Idaho extends affiliation agreement with NHL's Dallas Stars - Idaho Steelheads
- Reebok Hockey to be Presenting Sponsor for ECHL All-Star Game and Skills Competition - Elmira Jackals
- Brent Thompson named Head Coach of the Alaska Aces - Alaska Aces
- Checkers Agree to Terms With Mike Taylor - Charlotte Checkers
- Wings Stadium to Host Holiday Inn Alumni Classic This September - Kalamazoo Wings
- Sticks N' Strikes - Kalamazoo Wings
- Two Chances to See Slappy - Kalamazoo Wings
- Jackals Provide Updates on Upcoming Season at Press Conference - Elmira Jackals
- Royals Announce Pre-Season Schedule - Reading Royals
- Valette Back In Thunder Uniform, Agrees to Terms - Stockton Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.