Homers Help Sand Gnats Get 5-2 Win Over LegendsJuly 10, 2009 - South Atlantic League (SAL) - Lexington Legends
Lexington took the lead in the bottom of the first. Chris Jackson tripled and scored when he beat the throw to the plate from first baseman Eric Campbell, who had fielded Ebert Rosario's grounder. The 1-0 lead stood up until the fifth. Wilmer Flores singled, and Campbell homered to left to put the Sand Gnats in front. Jean Luc Blaquiere followed with a double, and one out later, Raul Reyes doubled, scoring Blaquiere and giving Savannah a 3-1 lead.
Sean Ratliff's two-run homer in the eighth made it 5-1. A single and two walks loaded the bases for Lexington with one out in the eighth, but reliever Rhiner Cruz got a double play ball on the first pitch he threw to Rosario.
The Legends threatened again in the ninth. Brian Pellegrini walked to lead off the inning, went to second on a wild pitch and to third on a one-out single by Michael Diaz. Freddie Hernandez walked to load the bases, and Steve Brown's fly ball to left field scored Pellegrini from third to make the score 5-2. Cruz then retired pinch-hitter Eric Suttle on a pop fly to shortstop Flores to end the game.
Savannah starter Chris Schwinden (6-4) got the win. Robert Bono (8-5), who pitched the first six innings for Lexington, took the loss.
The four-game series concludes Saturday at Applebee's Park. Game time is 7:05 p.m.
The Legends announced that left-hander Kirkland Rivers had been activated, replacing right-hander Ashton Mowdy on the roster. Mowdy was called up to advanced-A Lancaster of the California League.
South Atlantic League Stories from July 10, 2009
- Shortstop Delivers Extra-Innings Winner in Front of Huge Crowd - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Homers Help Sand Gnats Get 5-2 Win Over Legends - Lexington Legends
- Hot Rods Edge RiverDogs in 11 Innings, 5-4 - Charleston RiverDogs
- Power Smash Shorebirds - West Virginia Power
- Roling Rocks In Wild Pair - Asheville Tourists
- Crawdads Cruise to 7-2 Win Against Captains - Hickory Crawdads
- Suns Win Second Straight - Hagerstown Suns
- Lakewood Snags 7-5 Win - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Greenville Conquers Rome with Six-Run Seventh Inning - Greenville Drive
- BlueClaws Hold On 7-5 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Suns Notes and Promotions - Hagerstown Suns
- Suns Outplay Hoppers for Game Two Win - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Grasshoppers Milk the Cow for Cow Appreciation Night - Greensboro Grasshoppers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.