Hawks Streak Snapped at ThreeJuly 10, 2009 - Midwest League (MWL) South Bend Silver Hawks
Beloit plated the first run of the game, scoring a single tally in the bottom of the first against South Bend starter Brett Moorhouse (LP, 4-9). First round pick Aaron Hicks had a one out double, and scored on a two out bloop single by Ozzie Lewis for the 1-0 lead.
Lewis added another RBI in the third, putting the Snappers up 2-0. With one out and runners at first and third, Lewis grounded to Silver Hawks third baseman Victor Estevez on what could have been a double play ball. Estevez bobbled the ball, eliminating the double play possibility, but still got the out at first. James Beresford scored on the play as the second run of the night for the Snappers.
The Snappers continued to add to their lead in the fourth, scoring three times although only one was an earned run. With the bases loaded and nobody out, Angel Morales lifted a fly ball to shallow right. Isaias Asencio misplayed the ball for an error, allowing the first run to score. Beresford added a RBI single and Ramon Santana had a sacrifice fly to help Beloit to the 5-0 lead.
That would be plenty of support for Beloit starter Brad Tippett (WP, 7-3). The right hander from Australia went 7.0 innings, allowing no runs on five hits. Tippett struck out five and walked two on the night.
South Bend did score a run once Tippett was out of the game, scoring against reliever Tom Wright (ND) in the eighth. Reynaldo Navarro doubled to start the inning, went to third on a sacrifice, and scored on a groundout from A.J. Pollock to put the Silver Hawks on the board, trailing 5-1.
Moorhouse went 5.0 innings for South Bend, allowing five runs (three earned) on eight hits. He struck out two and walked one. Yonata Ortega (ND) had two scoreless innings of relief, with Brad Wilson (ND) adding one for South Bend.
The Silver Hawks continue the longest road trip of the season with a three game series in Appleton, Wisconsin against the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers. Game one on Saturday night begins at 7:35 PM Eastern Time. RHP Randy Rodriguez (1-7, 5.40 ERA) will start for South Bend, with Wisconsin starting LHP Evan Frederickson (3-4, 4.55 ERA). Pregame coverage begins at 7:15 PM on 1620 ESPN Radio and online at www.silverhawks.com.
Midwest League Stories from July 10, 2009
- Tincaps Complete Sweep of Kernels, 5-2 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Big Crowd Sees Bush and Rattlers Win - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Tippett Stops Streak - Beloit Snappers
- Kings' Snap Skid in Shutout Fashion - Clinton LumberKings
- Chiefs Fall 7-6 Friday - Peoria Chiefs
- Dragons Fall in Clinton 6-0 - Dayton Dragons
- Cougars Nip Bees, Win 2nd Set in Row - Kane County Cougars
- Hawks Streak Snapped at Three - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Hart gets the start in Peoria Monday - Peoria Chiefs
- Welcome to the rotation, Mr. Lee - Kane County Cougars
- Bass, Zadawski take Padres' June awards - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Autism Awareness Night Rescheduled for July 23rd - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Stevens Becomes 34th Former Dragon to Reach Majors - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Gameday June 10th - Dayton Dragons
- Politically Minded Bandits to Settle Mayoral Controversy - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Timber Rattlers Make Front Office Moves - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Whitecaps First Home Playoff Date Announced - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Bandits Steal Twinbill in 21 Total Innings - Lansing Lugnuts
- Bandits Walk-Off In Extras Twice - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.