Emanuele, Beck Help Lugnuts Split With LoonsJuly 2, 2009 - Midwest League (MWL) - Lansing Lugnuts
Beck (1-4) scattered four hits while striking out five over his seven innings, though a disputed Matt Wallach home run in the fifth looked to spoil his effort.
Trailing 1-0 going to the seventh, Great Lakes sent starter Justin Miller (3-5) to the mound in search of a complete game shutout. Tyler Pastornicky led off, however, by chopping a single to left and stole second base on the first pitch to Brian Van Kirk. After Miller struck out Van Kirk for the first out, Johermyn Chavez lined a game-tying single to right field and moved to second when right fielder Kyle Russell misplayed the ball.
The Loons relieved Miller with closer Cole St. Clair, only to see Emanuele crush a 1-0 pitch over the wall in left-center for his fourth home run of the season.
Beck set the side down in order in the bottom of the seventh to lock down the victory, joining Henderson Alvarez and Chase Lirette as Lugnuts pitchers with third complete games in 2009.
In the opener of the doubleheader, Loons right-hander Bobby Blevins (6-5) allowed only a Van Kirk two-run homer over his seven innings in tossing Great Lakes' first complete game of the season.
Joel Carreno (0-1) suffered the loss in his Lugnuts debut, surrendering four runs on four hits (including Jaime Pedroza and Alfredo Silverio home runs) in 5 1/3 innings.
The doubleheader was Lansing's ninth, with the split giving the Lugnuts a 6-12 record in twinbills on the season.
The Lugnuts and Loons finish off their four-game series with a 7:05 p.m. Friday night contest, featuring a pair of fine young right-handed starters. Lansing's Henderson Alvarez (5-5, 3.80) receives the start against Great Lakes' Nathan Eovaldi (1-4, 4.25).
Midwest League Stories from July 2, 2009
- Emanuele, Beck Help Lugnuts Split With Loons - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Hang on for 3-1 Win Over Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- 'Caps Loss Late - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Rattlers Win Another Close One - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Beliot Falls to Cedar Rapids - Beloit Snappers
- Bandits Drop 3-0 Pitchers' Duel - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Going the Distance - Great Lakes Loons
- Hawks Rally in Ninth to Beat West Michigan - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Chiefs Win 3-1 Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Taylor's Home Run Propels Bees To Shutout Victory - Burlington Bees
- Cougars Can't Rally vs. Peoria - Kane County Cougars
- TinCaps Top Dragons 3-1 - Dayton Dragons
- Reed Johnson to Rehab with Chiefs This Weekend - Peoria Chiefs
- Kernels Homestand Preview - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Coddington, Ravin Honored as Dragons Players of the Month - Dayton Dragons
- Rattlers Welcome Paul Molitor August 4 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Lucky Couple Selected for Bandit Wedding - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons GameDay - Dayton Dragons
- Kernels continue mastery of Snappers, 8-2 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Move Back Start Time for July 19th Game - Fort Wayne TinCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.