Four Biscuits Named Southern League All-StarsJune 30, 2009 - Southern League (SL) Montgomery Biscuits
Four Biscuits Named Southern League All-Stars Hellickson, Morlan, Jennings and Hughes Get Nod
MONTGOMERY, AL - The Southern League has announced the roster for the Southern League South Division All-Star Team, with four Biscuits selected to participate. RHP Jeremy Hellickson, RHP Eddie Morlan, OF Desmond Jennings and 1B Rhyne Hughes have been chosen to participate, but only Hellickson and Morlan will take part in the Southern League All-Star Game on July 13th at Regions Park in Hoover, AL.
Please see attached releases from the Southern League for full All-Star rosters and coaching staffs.
Jennings will be unavailable due to his selection to the prestigious XM All-Star Futures Game in St. Louis, MO, the day prior to the Southern League All-Star Game. Hughes was voted to the team, but also will not participate due to his promotion to Triple-A Durham.
Hellickson has made just eight starts thus far this season, but has showed All-Star stuff in those appearances. He is currently 2-1 with an ERA of 2.08. He has struck out 48 batters in just 39 innings, while holding the Southern League to an average of .196. The 22-year old native of Des Moines, IA, is currently the #8 rated prospect in the Rays' system in the estimation of Baseball America.
Morlan has been the anchor in the Biscuits' bullpen this season, making a team-leading 29 relief appearances and compiling a record of 3-3 with an ERA of 2.68. He has also recorded four saves. The 23-year old was rated as a top-30 prospect in the Brewers' chain after they took him in the Rule 5 draft in the off-season. He was reclaimed by the Rays during Spring Training.
Jennings is among the league-leaders in nearly every offensive category, including sharing the league-lead with 94 total hits. He also paces the circuit in stolen bases with 28. A native of the Birmingham area, the Southern League All-Star Game would have been somewhat of a homecoming for the 22-year old.
Despite his promotion to Durham at the beginning of June, Hughes continues to share the Southern League lead with 15 home runs. He led the league at the time of his promotion with 46 RBIs, and continues to place fourth in the category.
The Biscuits return to Riverwalk Stadium to open a four-game series with the Birmingham Barons as they celebrate Independence Day on Saturday, July 4th. The July 4th game is scheduled for 7:05 PM and will feature a double Max Fireworks Spectacular. Tickets for all games in the series can be obtained by visiting the Biscuits Box Office at Riverwalk Stadium, logging on to BiscuitsBaseball.com or calling the Biscuits at (334) 323-2255.
Southern League Stories from June 30, 2009
- BayBears Stay up Late, Fall to Barons in 16 - Mobile BayBears
- Jaxx Pitching Dominates in 6-0 Triumph Over Braves - Jackson Generals
- Smokies Coast to Second Straight 7-2 Win Tuesday - Tennessee Smokies
- Chattanooga Edges Carolina - Carolina Mudcats
- Biscuits Score Early in Tuesday Victory - Jacksonville Suns
- Lookouts Trump Carolina - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Smokies Send Stars to Second Straight Defeat - Huntsville Stars
- Rollins Carries Biscuits to Victory, 5-1 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Eleven Barons Headline All-Star Selections - Birmingham Barons
- Mike Wilson reinstated from DL - Jackson Generals
- Smokies Announce a Pair of Roster Moves on Tuesday - Tennessee Smokies
- Eight BayBears Selected to Southern League All-Star Game - Mobile BayBears
- Carolina Mudcats Transactions - Carolina Mudcats
- Thompson Suspended - Jacksonville Suns
- Six Suns Selected to All-Star Roster - Jacksonville Suns
- Rollins Activated for Start Tonight - Montgomery Biscuits
- Southern League Announces 2009 South Division All-Star Team - SL
- Four Biscuits Named Southern League All-Stars - Montgomery Biscuits
- Stars Pace Division With Seven All-Star Selections - Huntsville Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.