BayBears hold off Barons to even seriesJune 29, 2009 - Southern League (SL) Mobile BayBears
Birmingham (51-25, 3-4) put two men on with two outs in the final frame before Dayan Viciedo lifted a one-hop single to center which was gloved by Frey who fired a strike to James Skelton at the plate. Skelton held the ball as he absorbed the contact from Retherford to record the last out.
That play kept the Barons from making their second comeback of the night. The first happened in the seventh when the BayBears (41-37, 4-3) were up 4-0. Jarrod Parker was taken out after surrendering just four singles in six-plus innings. He gave way to Reid Mahon (3-1) after a lead-off knock in the seventh.
The hit parade was on against Mahon as Lee Cruz picked up an RBI double and scored on a hit by C.J. Lang to pull the Barons within two. Lang scored on a two-bagger by John Shelby who netted the tying run when Tyler Flowers brought him home.
A two-out, two-run double by Pete Clifford in the eighth pushed the BayBears back on top against reliever John Lujan (1-4). Kyler Newby tossed the last two innings while allowing the Barons to get close on a solo fly by Stefan Gartrell.
Parker was very strong for the BayBears as he cruised through the first six while shutting out the powerful Barons on just three singles, all by Flowers. He was given some padding in the second when Mark Hallberg singled home a run. Another scored as Shelby booted a ball in center field. Bryan Byrne's RBI double in the third put the visitors up by three. Ricardo Sosa drove home the fourth BayBear run with a grounder to third.
Southern League Stories from June 29, 2009
- Jaxx walk off Braves in 13th inning - Jackson Generals
- Smokies land six on Southern League All-Star roster - Tennessee Smokies
- Coleman, Wright lead Smokies to 7-2 win - Tennessee Smokies
- BayBears hold off Barons to even series - Mobile BayBears
- Barons fall just short, 6-5 - Birmingham Barons
- Mudcats Edge Chattanooga, 7-6 - Carolina Mudcats
- Mudcats defeat Chattanooga, 7-6 - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Smokies top Stars for first time in nine tries - Huntsville Stars
- Otterness Assigned to Roster - Carolina Mudcats
- Jones Activated from DL - Huntsville Stars
- North Division All-Star Rosters Announced - Birmingham Barons
- Schlereth to DL, Rumler Promoted - Mobile BayBears
- Carrera, Hubbard Named to SL North All-Star Team - Jackson Generals
- Six Mudcats Named To All-Star Team - Carolina Mudcats
- Southern League Announces 2009 North Division All-Star Roster - SL
- Suns Even Series with Monday Win - Jacksonville Suns
- Suns Win a Wild One to Even Series, 6-4 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Celebrate July 4th with the Biscuits! - Montgomery Biscuits
- Bryan Petersen Named Southern League Hitter of the Week - Jacksonville Suns
- Mississippi Braves Homestand Highlights - Mississippi Braves
- Reynoso Named Southern League Pitcher of the Week - Mississippi Braves
- Southern League Names Hitter, Pitcher of the Week Honors - SL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.