Burgess Named to All-Star TeamJune 18, 2009 - Carolina League (CarL) Potomac Nationals
Burgess on the season is hitting just .232 but against right-handers the lefty is hitting .256 with 11 home runs and is getting on base at a solid .367 clip. He also likes to put on a show for opposing fans as evidenced by his .264 batting average and 29 RBI away from Pfitzner Stadium. Overall, Burgess has 12 home runs and 37 RBI as well as eight stolen bases.
The powerful Burgess has picked up the pace in the month of June, hitting .263 with three home runs and ten RBI with a fantastic OPS (on-base plus slugging percentage) of .899. That included a doubleheader against Frederick on June 12 where Burgess went 4-for-8 with two long balls and four RBI as the P-Nats took two from the Keys.
This will be Burgess' second All-Star selection in his short career. After being chosen with the 49th overall pick in the 2007 draft out of Hillsborough High School in Tampa, Fl., Burgess spent the majority of the 2008 season with the low-A Hagerstown Suns where he was selected to the South Atlantic League All-Star team that season. Not content with just being chosen, Burgess went out and won the Game's Home Run Derby by belting 16 round-trippers in just 38 swings.
Burgess and the P-Nats welcome in the Salem Red Sox to Pfitzner Stadium for the last series before the All-Star break. Thursday night is Ladies Night at the Pfitz where all ladies get in for half price and have the chance to win great prizes all throughout the ballgame. They will also receive a carnation from Flowers in Just Hours. It's also Second Chance Thursday at the ballpark where fans can bring in any non-winning Virginia Lottery scratch cards for the chance to purchase buy-one-get-one-free tickets.
For more information on tickets for Cannons Throwback Day or other daily promotions, call the Potomac Nationals at (703) 590-2311 or log onto www.potomacnationals.com for more information.
Carolina League Stories from June 18, 2009
- Lynchburg Slips Past Kinston - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Cats Scratch K-Tribe 5-3 - Kinston Indians
- Soggy Field Postpones Opener with Sox - Potomac Nationals
- Wet Grounds Prompt Saturday Doubleheader - Salem Red Sox
- Thursday's Blue Rocks Game Postponed - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Dash and Blue Rocks Opener Postponed Due to Wet Field Conditions - Winston-Salem Dash
- Burgess Named to All-Star Team - Potomac Nationals
- Hillcats vs. Indians - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Check Out the New Features on the K-Tribe's Official Website - Kinston Indians
- Nationals Game Notes June 18 - Potomac Nationals
- K-Tribe Game Notes For June 18 - Kinston Indians
- Bianchi's Two-Run Sac Fly Keys 7-5 Win In Extras - Wilmington Blue Rocks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.