Marte homers in tenth to lift Gnats to victoryMay 6, 2009 - South Atlantic League (SAL) Savannah Sand Gnats
Things looked grim in the ninth with two out, nobody on, two strikes on Eric Campbell and the Sand Gnats trailing by two. That all changed when Campbell swung through a third strike from Hunter Strickland (1-3) but reached first on a past ball by Ryan Lavarnway. After a walk to Sean Ratliff, Josh Satin singled through the left side to score Campbell from second to pull within one.
Kai Gronauer followed Satin's single with a single of his own to score Ratliff and tie the game at four to set the stage for the exciting finish in the tenth.
Kyle Allen (2-1) pitched brilliantly out of the bullpen, throwing five shutout innings while striking out six and permitting just two hits. Savannah's starter Eric Beaulac pitched the first five and allowed four runs (three earned) on six hits with a season-high eight strikeouts. The 14 combined strikeouts tied a season-high for the Sand Gnats.
Marte was 1-for-5 on the evening heading into his at bat in the 10th inning. It's the first walk-off home run for Savannah since August 23, 2008 when Casey Craig hit a solo home run in game one of a doubleheader with Rome to break a deadlocked 0-0 game.
These same two clubs are back at it tomorrow on a Thirsty Thursday presented by Connect Savannah and Rock 106.1. It's also Scottish night at the ballpark and if you wear a kilt to the game, you'll receive $2 off a general admission ticket.
Opening Day starter Elvin Ramirez (2-1, 2.96) takes the ball for Savannah while Greenville sends RHP Bryan Price (2-1, 2.30) to the hill. First pitch is scheduled for 7 p.m.
South Atlantic League Stories from May 6, 2009
- Tourists Trap RiverDogs, 3-1 - Charleston RiverDogs
- Drive Fall to Sand Gnats, 6-4, in 10 Innings - Greenville Drive
- Power snap losing streak, split double dip - West Virginia Power
- Marte homers in tenth to lift Gnats to victory - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Braves Hold Off Legends - Rome Braves
- Jacobsen delivers in the rain to evade sweep - Hagerstown Suns
- Clemson Tigers and Furman Paladins Postponed at Fluor Field - Greenville Drive
- Boscan And Paisano Earn Rangers Monthly Honors - Hickory Crawdads
- McCormick Field to Host Two Ashville Chamber Events - Asheville Tourists
- Blue Claws Fall to Imtimidators - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Intimdators dominate in 9-3 win in Lakewood - Kannapolis Intimidators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.