Tejada Powers B-Mets to 4-3 Win over Fisher CatsApril 26, 2009 - Eastern League (EL) Binghamton Mets
In a tie game, 1-1, in the last of the sixth, New Hampshire (11-6) finally got to Antonini. With two outs and a man at third, the B-Mets' starter hung a 3-2 curveball that Adam Calderone laced over the right field wall for a home run, giving the Fisher Cats a 3-1 lead.
Binghamton (9-6) was quick to respond, however, loading the bases in the top of the seventh when Shawn Bowman was hit by reliever Celson Polanco to open the inning, which was followed by a Carl Loadenthal single and a Caleb Stewart walk. With the bases loaded and nobody out, Polanco proceeded to strikeout Matt Bouchard and Emmanuel Garcia. The next hitter was Tejada, who got behind in the count 0-2 before working it back full. With a full count, Tejada hammered the game-winning double over the head of Fisher Cat leftfielder Jonathan Diaz to clear the bases and give the B-Mets the lead, 4-3.
Relievers Tim McNab, Edgar Alfonzo, John Madden and Roy Merritt made the slim lead stand with three scoreless innings of relief. Merritt threw the final 1.1 innings to notch his eighth save in as many chances, which leads the Eastern League.
In his fourth start of the season, Antonini went a season-high six innings and picked up his third win giving up three runs to record a quality start. Polanco took the loss throwing 1.2 innings surrendering three runs.
Shawn Bowman had a terrific day at the plate going 2-3 with a solo home run and a single, scoring two runs. Tejada added a single to his three-run double for a 2-5 day with 3 RBI.
Binghamton will enjoy an off day tomorrow in Portland before returning to the diamond Tuesday evening for the first of three games at Hadlock Field against the Sea Dogs. RHP Dylan Owen (0-1, 7.24) will get the call for Binghamton and is to be opposed by RHP Adam Mills (0-1, 6.14). The game is slated for a 6:00 first pitch and the radio broadcast on Newsradio 1290 WNBF begins at 5:45 with the Horizons Federal Credit Union Pre-Game Show.
Eastern League Stories from April 26, 2009
- Aeros Falter Late in 7-6 Loss - Akron RubberDucks
- Bats Come Alive As Baysox Avoid Sweep - Bowie Baysox
- Portland loses an epic contest, 20-15 to Connecticut! - Portland Sea Dogs
- Tejada Powers B-Mets to 4-3 Win over Fisher Cats - Binghamton Mets
- Defenders Win 20-15 & Series 3-1 - Connecticut Defenders
- Mets rally for 4-3 win over Fisher Cats - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Curve rally for extra inning win - Altoona Curve
- Trenton falls to new Britain 11-3 - Trenton Thunder
- Aeros Notes - Akron RubberDucks
- Ian Desmond to DL and Adrian Alaniz joins Sens - Harrisburg Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.