Admirals Fall to Falcons in Wild AffairNovember 21, 2008 - American Hockey League (AHL) Norfolk Admirals
The fireworks started at the opening faceoff, as Admirals captain Zenon Konopka and winger Guillaume Lefebvre fought one second into the contest.
Springfield then took a 3-0 lead in the first period as they capitalized on three Norfolk penalties. While skating with a five-on-three advantage, Gilbert Brule attempted a pass from the left faceoff circle toward the opposite post that deflected off a player in the slot and bounded past Norfolk netminder Mike McKenna at 8:54.
Former Admiral Carl Corazzini doubled Springfield's lead off the ensuing faceoff. He broke in along the left wing and netted a power play goal with a snap shot from the left circle at 8:59.
Springfield took a three-goal lead just over four minutes later as a Norfolk penalty expired. Theo Peckham deflected a Rob Schremp feed into the net at 13:07.
The Admirals drew to within one goal of Springfield late in the first period with their first power play goal. Paul Szczechura sent a pass from the right corner to Brandon Segal in the slot, and Segal sent a wrist shot past Falcons netminder Devan Dubnyk at 18:00.
A see-saw second period started when Brandon Bochenski make it 3-2 early in the stanza. Zenon Konopka sent a shot from the right circle that was deflected by Bochenski past Dubnyk's left leg at 1:32.
Derek Bekar then converted a cross-crease pass at 3:35 to restore the Springfield two-goal lead at 4-2.
Back-to-back Falcons penalties gave the Admirals a five-on-three power play, and they capitalized at 6:44. Jamie Heward sent a slap shot from the right point through a screen that eluded Dubnyk and briefly cut Norfolk's deficit back to one goal.
A defensive miscue in the neutral zone led to Springfield's fifth goal. Bryan Lerg broke in alone on McKenna and lifted a backhand shot top-shelf at 8:38.
Norfolk charged back with a pair of power play goals to tie the game at 5-5 after two periods. Zenon Konopka found the puck out of a goalmouth scramble at the bottom of the right circle and sent a shot that ricocheted off a Falcons defender into the net at 12:11.
Just over two minutes later, the Admirals' franchise record-tying fifth power play goal off the stick of Bracken Kearns knotted the game at five goals apiece. Daryl Boyle sent a shot from the point that went wide and caromed off the end boards to Blair Jones at the bottom of the right circle. Jones got the puck to Kearns who stuffed it home at 14:23.
Norfolk missed setting a new franchise mark for power play goals in a game by two seconds early in the third period, but didn't mind as they took a 6-5 lead. Paul Szczechura netted his team-leading tenth goal on the season when his slap shot from the left hashmarks eluded Dubnyk 5:39 into the final frame just as a Springfield penalty expired.
However, it would be Springfield's power play that would strike next. Peckham fired a wrist shot through a screen from the right point that went over McKenna's right leg at 8:38.
Just over four minutes later, Tyler Spurgeon gave Springfield the winning margin when his wrist shot from the right half-wall snuck past McKenna at 12:50.
Mike McKenna (33 shots, 26 saves) got the loss. Devan Dubnyk (37 shots, 31 saves) picked up the win.
Norfolk was 5-9 on the power play. Springfield was 3-8.
American Hockey League Stories from November 21, 2008
- Bishop Stands Tall in 3-1 Win - Peoria Rivermen
- Rivermen Hand IceHogs Loss 3-1 - Rockford IceHogs
- Rivermen Win 3-1 in Rockford - Peoria Rivermen
- Rampage Fall 4-1 in Manitoba Friday - San Antonio Rampage
- Falcons End Wild Night With 7-6 Win - Springfield Falcons
- Chops Blanked by Admirals, McIntyre - Iowa Chops
- Moose Sweep Rampage, 4-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Berkhoel's Shutout Streak Snapped; Pens Post 3-2 Shootout Win Versus Griffins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Griffins Fall to Penguins in Shootout, 3-2 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Fall to Falcons in Wild Affair - Norfolk Admirals
- Devils Overcome Wolf Pack for 4-3 Shootout Win - Albany Devils
- Oh Say Can You See Second Victory In A Row for Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Flames Top Wolves On Chucko Marker - Abbotsford Heat
- Marlies Stump B-Sens, 3-0 - Binghamton Senators
- Devils Beat Wolf Pack 4-2 in Shootout - Connecticut Whale
- Albany Downs Syracuse 3-1 - Albany River Rats
- P-Bruins Defeat Pirates in Shootout 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- Hershey Takes 5-2 Win Over Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- Crunch Stymied by River Rats in Albany - Syracuse Crunch
- Crunch Announce Details of Dunkin' Donuts Munchins Hosting Program - Syracuse Crunch
- Wolves Ink Marchesi and Ludzik - Chicago Wolves
- Coyotes Recall Enver Lisin from San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- Houston Aeros 6th Annual First Flight Kids' Game to be Held December 4 - Houston Aeros
- Wilson Recalled by Dallas - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Hour Radio Show Moved to Tuesday Next Week Due to Thanksgiving - Norfolk Admirals
- Chops weekend update - Iowa Chops
- Admirals and Lendy's Café Team Up to Show Upcoming Admirals Road Games - Norfolk Admirals
- Marlies Present Wendel Clark Bobblehead Day On Saturday - Toronto Marlies
- Save the Dates - Wintertime Fun With the Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Houston Aeros partner with Onyx Limousine for 2008-09 season - Houston Aeros
- Crabb Gets The Call To Atlanta - Chicago Wolves
- Admirals, Hunger Task Force to Lock Out Hunger - Milwaukee Admirals
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- Amerks Host Manchester Tonight - Rochester Americans
- Amerks Announce Seven Dollar Fridays - Rochester Americans
- Rivermen Call On Kana and Imbeault - Peoria Rivermen
- Crunch to Host Food Drive to Benefit Food Bank of Central New York - Syracuse Crunch
- Falcons Host Admirals Tonight - Springfield Falcons
- Devils Return Letourneau, Leblond to Lowell - Albany Devils
- AHL announces suspension - AHL
- Penguins Make Rare Visit to Van Andel Arena - Grand Rapids Griffins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.