Chavez's Big Bat Lifts Lugs In ExtrasApril 6, 2008 - Midwest League (MWL) Lansing Lugnuts
The Lugnuts and Wizards were knotted up at four runs a piece in the bottom of the ninth when Fort Wayne nearly took the game. With two men out, Yefri Carvajal tried to score from third base on a pitch that got away from Lansing catcher Jonathan Jaspe, but Jaspe recovered in time to cover the plate and tag out Carvajal, sending the game to extra innings.
It did not take Lansing long to take advantage, as Yohermyn Chavez belted a two-run homer over the left field wall to put the Lugnuts ahead for good 6-4.
Lansing trailed 3-0 after four innings, but the Lugnuts tied the game in the sixth when Chavez blasted his first long ball of the game, a three-run shot that cleared the left-field wall.
Fort Wayne recaptured the lead in the bottom half of the sixth though, as Felix Carrasco delivered an RBI single into right-center field to make it a 4-3 game.
The Lugnuts fought back in the seventh when Jonathan Jaspe ripped an RBI single into center field to tie the game back up at 4-4. Lansing would later load the bases in the inning, but failed to score as Chavez grounded into a double play to end the threat.
Edgar Estanga (1-0) got the win relief for Lansing by tossing four innings of two hit baseball.
Lansing (3-1) will now head home to play its first game of the year at Oldsmobile Park Monday night at 6:05 p.m. Lefty Luis Perez will get the start for the Lugnuts, while Bryan Henry will take the mound for the visiting South Bend Silver Hawks.
Midwest League Stories from April 6, 2008
- Kernels fall in extra innings, 7-6, to LumberKings - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Wizards Fall Victim To Long Ball, Lose 6-4 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Chavez's Big Bat Lifts Lugs In Extras - Lansing Lugnuts
- Snappers End Opening Homestand With Loss - Beloit Snappers
- Lambo's Heroics Give Loons Series Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Dragons Lose Lead In 9th, Fall To Great Lakes 4-3 - Dayton Dragons
- Cougars Get 4-Game Sweep To Start 08 - Kane County Cougars
- Bandits Bats Wake Up - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Bees Lose Series Finale And Split with Peoria - Burlington Bees
- Quad Cities Pulls Away - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Rebound For 3-2 Sunday Win - Peoria Chiefs
- Whitecaps off to second best start in team history - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.