Earthquakes Beat Portland Timbers 2-1 in Final Preseason GameMarch 28, 2008 - Major League Soccer (MLS) San Jose Earthquakes
The Earthquakes opened the scoring in the eighth minute on a goal by Kamara from close range. Ramiro Corrales served a free kick from near midfield into the heart of the box to start the play. Ryan Cochrane slid and knocked a shot on goal, but Timbers goalkeeper Ray Burse made a tough save. However, the rebound fell to Kamara, who deposited the ball into the empty net for a 1-0 lead. The goal was Kamara's fifth of the preseason.
Later in the first half, Salinas, a rookie from Furman, got into the act with an impressive blast from 20 yards out. He picked up the ball outside the box and unloaded a shot that found the side-netting in the top corner to give the Quakes a 2-0 edge. The goal came in the 13th minute.
Portland got back into the game with a goal in the 71st minute. Tim Kraralexis scored from six yards away to cut the deficit in half.
The Quakes finish the preseason with a 5-1-2 record against professional competition. The team opens the 2008 Major League Soccer season on Thursday, Apr. 3 against the Los Angeles Galaxy at The Home Depot Center. The match kicks off at 7:30 p.m. PT and will be broadcast live on ESPN2. Fans can also catch the game on the radio in Spanish on KLOK 1170.
Major League Soccer Stories from March 28, 2008
- Earthquakes Beat Portland Timbers 2-1 in Final Preseason Game - San Jose Earthquakes
- Ray Burse Loaned to Portland Timbers - FC Dallas
- San Jose Earthquakes Announce 2008 Reserve Division Schedule - San Jose Earthquakes
- Crew signs Brazilian forward Guilherme So - Columbus Crew SC
- Rapids Sign MLS Veteran Kelly Gray Off Waivers - Colorado Rapids
- Red Bulls To Host "Countdown To Kickoff" Events - New York Red Bulls
- San Jose Earthquakes Acquire Forward John Cunliffe From Chivas USA In Exchange For Chris Pozniak - San Jose Earthquakes
- D.C. United Signs Murphy And Thorpe, Waive Kpene - D.C. United
- D.C. United Launches BehindTheBadge.com - D.C. United
- Revolution Adds Defender Chase Hilgenbrinck - New England Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.