Tomas Marcinko Named Team CaptainJanuary 12, 2008 - Ontario Hockey League (OHL) Barrie Colts
Marcinko takes over the captaincy full-time after the Colts designated several assistant captains this season. He will fill the role of captain after Bryan Little represented the team as their captain for the 2005-06 and 2006-07 seasons.
A draft-pick of the New York Islanders in 2006 (4th Round, 115th overall), Marcinko is fourth on the club with 22 points (11g-11a) through 23 games. He recently returned to the club and suited up January 10 after he was playing for Team Slovakia in his second World Junior Hockey Championship.
Marcinko was originally selected 55th overall by the Colts in the 2005 CHL Import draft. In 77 regular season games played as a Colt, Marcinko has totaled 30 goals and 32 assists for a total of 62 points. 17 of those goals were of the power-play variety.
Throughout his first 15 games this season, Marcinko notched 11 goals and 6 assists, before suffering a tibial microfracture in his leg that sidelined him for eleven games.
Ontario Hockey League Stories from January 12, 2008
- Spirit Beat the Greyhounds 6-5 - Saginaw Spirit
- Otters Belted By Whalers - Erie Otters
- Tomas Marcinko Named Team Captain - Barrie Colts
- Newcomers Power Plymouth To 8-1 Victory Over Erie - Plymouth Whalers
- Majors Lose a Close One to the Bulls - Mississauga St. Michael's Majors
- Whalers Stung By Sarnia, 5-1, On Friday Night - Plymouth Whalers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.