Suns' game ends in tieAugust 30, 2007 - South Atlantic League (SAL) - Hagerstown Suns Press Release
The outcome of the game will not be reflected in the South Atlantic League standings, as neither team got credited with a win nor a loss, however the statistics from the game will still be considered official.
Both the Suns and Shorebirds received excellent performances from their starting pitchers. Hagerstown's Chris Lugo pitched a season-high five innings while allowing only one run. Zach Clark for Delmarva did one better, lasting seven innings, allowing only one run and striking out five Hagerstown hitters.
The Shorebirds started the scoring in the fifth inning with a solo home run by Paul Winterling off Lugo. The blast to left field was Winterling's third home run of the season.
Hagerstown responded in the bottom of the seventh inning as Michael Martinez singled, stole second base and was driven in by Joe Napoli on a base hit off the glove of Clark.
Delmarva regained the lead in the top of the eighth inning when Billy Rowell walked and was doubled home by Winterling.
As the rain began to fall in the bottom of the eighth inning the Suns responded again. Left fielder Robby Tolan walked and advanced to second base on a passed ball. Patrick Nichols then laid down a sacrifice bunt to move Tolan to third base before John Poppert singled up the middle driving in the tying run.
Immediately after Poppert's at-bat the game was delayed and eventually called.
The Suns will take on the Lakewood BlueClaws for the final home series of the 2007 season starting on Friday, August 31st at 7:05 PM. Gates will open at Municipal Stadium at 6:05. For tickets, or for more information, call the Suns at (301) 791-6266 or visit them on the web at www.hagerstownsuns.com.
South Atlantic League Stories from August 30, 2007
- Kannapolis Hands Hoppers 3rd Straight Loss - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Kannapolis, Greensboro Brawl Overshadows Intimidators' Ninth-Inning Comeback - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Legends Surge Late, Beat Power - West Virginia Power
- Rome Takes Win in Final Home Game - Rome Braves
- Mariotti, offense lead 'Birds to 8-1 win - SAL
- 'Claws Sweep Captains Ashore; Stay Alive with 1-0 Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Hickory-Asheville Game suspended - Asheville Tourists
- Buchanan's Blast Overpowers Power - Lexington Legends
- Drive Can't Figure Out GreenJackets, Lose 3-2 - Greenville Drive
- Suns' game ends in tie - Hagerstown Suns
- Stats Count, Game Dosen't, 'Birds and Suns Complete 2-2 Game Early - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Snyder Wins 16th Game - Augusta GreenJackets
- Ticket, Merchandise, Concessions Bonanza and Photo on the Field - Lakewood BlueClaws
- RiverDogs release 2008 schedule - Charleston RiverDogs
- Thirsty Thursday Returns - Lakewood BlueClaws
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.