QC Will Look to Clinch a Playoff Berth on Thursday Night at JODAugust 29, 2007 - Midwest League (MWL) - Quad Cities River Bandits
Quad Cities (40-24, 78-55) will look to lock up a spot in the playoffs in front of their home fans on Thursday night at John O'Donnell Stadium, as a loss by Kane County dropped the Swing's magic number to one heading into a two-game series against Ryne Sandberg and the Peoria Chiefs. Burlington (30-34, 60-73) finished out the home portion of their schedule in style, outlasting the Swing in a pitcher's duel with the game's only run in the bottom of the 10th.
Taking the loss in his Swing debut was Matt Spade (0-1), who flew into the Quad Cities earlier in the day and walked the first two batters he faced in the bottom of the 10th inning. After an error loaded the bases with nobody out, Jesus Soto drove an 0-2 pitch over the head of the right-fielder to plate Michael Thompson for the 1-0 win.
That made a winner out of Aaron Hartsock (7-4), who tossed the final two innings for the Bees without allowing a hit.
Up to that point, the ballgame had seen nothing but strong performances on the mound.
Elvis Hernandez started the game for the Swing, but was removed with one out in the bottom of the fourth due to an apparent injury. "The Mosquito" allowed just one hit over 3.1 shutout innings before the pitching coach and trainer emerged from the dugout and made their way to the mound with a 1-1 count on Luis Castillo. After a brief discussion, Hernandez was removed from the ballgame in favor of reliever Chuckie Fick.
Meanwhile, Fick picked up right where Hernandez left off. The 15th-rounder out of Cal State-Northridge threw 3.2 scoreless frames, allowing just two hits to preserve the shutout through seven full innings. Kyle Sadlowski then entered for the eighth and ninth innings, working around leadoff hits in both frames to help close out regulation in a scoreless tie.
On the other side of the diamond, starter Everett Teaford allowed just three hits over six shutout innings. Reliever Josh Cribb followed with two scoreless frames of his own, as a leadoff single by Oliver Marmol in the eighth was erased when he was cut down trying to steal second base.
TICKETS: Tickets for all events at John O'Donnell Stadium can be purchased by calling the Swing of the Quad Cities ticket office at (563) 328-2000, coming to the box office located at the stadium along South Gaines Street, or by logging on to www.swingbaseball.com.
UP NEXT: The Swing hit the home stretch of the regular season, as just two home games remain on Thursday and Friday before a potential first-round playoff game next Wednesday! All Swing games feature a radio broadcast that can be heard on WKBF AM-1270 or online at www.swingbaseball.com, with the pre-game show starting 15 minutes prior to scheduled first pitch.
UPCOMING PROMOTIONS: The Swing return to Davenport to close out their regular season home schedule with a pair of games against Ryne Sandberg and the Peoria Chiefs. The first will be a Bent River Brewing Company Thirsty Thursday with Rock 104.9's Dave & Darren, while Northwest Bank and Trust presents "The Apprentice." Friday will be all about Fan Appreciation as the Swing close out the home schedule with a Jersey of our Back Night sponsored by Genesis and post-game FIREWORKS!!!
Midwest League Stories from August 29, 2007
- Bees End Home Season in Style - Burlington Bees
- Three-Run Ninth Secures Kernels' Victory - Beloit Snappers
- QC Will Look to Clinch a Playoff Berth on Thursday Night at JOD - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cougars Blanked by Chiefs in Finale - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs Shut Out Cougars 5-0, Earn Series Split - Peoria Chiefs
- Gonzalez Stifles Dayton and Leads Lansing to Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Whitecaps take fourth in a row - West Michigan Whitecaps
- LumberKings Chop Down Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Lugnuts Break Through Late, Beat Dragons 4-1 - Dayton Dragons
- Snappers' Roster Now at 23 - Beloit Snappers
- Quick Change Rescheduled for August 31st - Dayton Dragons
- Bees Get Help for Depleted Outfield - Burlington Bees
- Thompson Named MWL Post-Season All-Star - Burlington Bees
- Snappers Announce Doubleheader Date - Beloit Snappers
- Whitecaps Begin Title Defense Against Lansing - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Delaney and Manship Honored by Midwest League Managers - Beloit Snappers
- Kernels rally late for 5-4 win over Snappers - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Turner's Hot Bat Heads South - Dayton Dragons
- Lugnuts Playoff Tickets Go On-Sale This Saturday - Lansing Lugnuts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.