Sea Dogs Crushes Mets, 10-2August 22, 2007 - Eastern League (EL) - Portland Sea Dogs
Bowden worked six strong innings on five hits and one run to notch his team leading 8th victory of the season. The lone run came on Wilson Batista's solo homer to leadoff the fourth. The righty didn't issue a walk and recorded five strikeouts.
Portland quickly jumped on B-Mets starter Salvador Aguilar (7-8) by scoring four runs in the first inning. Jeff Corsaletti, who finished the night 3-for-3, led off the first inning with one of his two walks on the night. After an error by the catcher and walk to Jeff Natale, Bryan Pritz knocked in the first run with single. Chad Spann added a sacrifice fly and Jay Johnson drove in two with a double.
Aguilar took the loss, yielding four runs on six hits and walked a season-high, five batters.
Pritz finished 3-for-4, 3 RBI, producing a sacrifice fly in the sixth inning and a run-scoring double in the eighth. Portland scored five times off Marcos Carvajal in the sixth inning. Spann picked up his second sacrifice fly, Keylor drew a bases loaded walk and Iggy Suarez delivered a two-run single.
Binghamton pitchers allowed 11 walks - six by their relievers (Carvajal and Nall).
Hunter Jones worked two scoreless innings for Portland and Beau Vaughan closed out the game in the ninth inning, allowing an unearned run on two hits.
Portland went 6-for-16 with runners-in-scoring position after going 8 for their previous 51. The win snapped a 5-game losing streak for the 'Dogs as they finished the homestand 2-5 - Bowden was the winning pitcher in both victories.
The Sea Dogs remain one-game in front of New Hampshire for the second playoff spot in the Northern Division as the Fisher Cats beat New Britain on Wednesday night.
On Thursday night, the playoff race heats up as the Sea Dogs travel to Manchester, New Hampshire to begin a four-game series with the Fisher Cats. Righty Felix Diaz takes the hill for Portland, he'll face lefty Kurt Isenberg for the 'Cats.
Allied Home Mortgage Big Dogs of the Game - Jeff Corsaletti & Bryan Pritz
Notes...Bryan Pritz improved his average to a team-leading, .305...The 10 runs scored at Hadlock was the most since they scored 13 on July 29 at Connecticut...Hunter Jones did not have a strikeout for the first time since joining the Sea Dogs.
Eastern League Stories from August 22, 2007
- Baysox Split Double Dip - Bowie Baysox
- Thunder Salvage Win in Bowie - Trenton Thunder
- Santos, Taubenheim Lead Fisher Cats to Rout of Rock Cats - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Curve Rally in Tenth, Snap Skid - Altoona Curve
- Curve Snap Skid, Best Phillies - Reading Fightin Phils
- Sea Dogs Crushes Mets, 10-2 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Portland Avoids Sweep - Binghamton Mets
- Defenders Split Doubleheader - Connecticut Defenders
- SeaWolves Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Future Red Sox Tomorrow..Future Yankees Next Weekend - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Senators Game Notes - Harrisburg Senators
- Curve Playoff Tickets Now On Sale - Altoona Curve
- Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
- Curve Close Out Home Schedule With Eight-Game Homestand - Altoona Curve
- B-Mets Game Notes - Binghamton Mets
- Sea Dogs Playoff Update - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.