Cougars Lose Finale, Series in IowaJune 24, 2007 - Midwest League (MWL) - Kane County Cougars
Cougars starter Trevor Cahill (3-2) allowed three first-inning runs for a quick deficit but rebounded to post a quality start in the loss. He yielded the tallies on seven hits, walked two and struck out five in his first defeat since his Cougars debut in mid-May. Reliever Derek Tharpe allowed three runs -- one earned -- in the seventh, and Shane Presutti served up two more in the eighth for an 8-0 tilt.
The Cougars, who had only three hits against starter Omar Poveda (8-2) and one versus reliever John Slusarz, broke through in the run column in the ninth against Tim Gudex, as Christian Vitters poked a run-scoring single to right to bring home Ramiro Mendez for the 8-1 final.
The Cougars (1-3) return to Elfstrom Stadium on Monday night for a 6:30 CDT game against the Burlington Bees (3-1). Scott Deal (3-5) is scheduled to face left-hander Everett Teaford (3-6).
Midwest League Stories from June 24, 2007
- Loons Beat Silverhawks; Cody White Promoted - Great Lakes Loons
- Longest Game of Season Ends in Loss for Snappers - Beloit Snappers
- Chiefs Blow Seven-Run Lead, Then Rally to Win 11-9 - Peoria Chiefs
- Cougars Lose Finale, Series in Iowa - Kane County Cougars
- Cegarra, Cribb Put Clamps on Kernels - Burlington Bees
- Late Longballs Lift Wizards Over Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Diaz, Orta Carry Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Over 9,000 Watch Whitecaps Blank Dragons, 4-0 - Dayton Dragons
- WhiteCaps Complete Sweep, Pick Up Sixth Straight Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Two-Out Runs Sink Swing - Quad Cities River Bandits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.