Chiefs Ready for Second Annual Illini Night with Coach WeberMay 23, 2007 - Midwest League (MWL) - Peoria Chiefs
Coach Weber, Coach McClain and the players will hold a press conference in the third floor Administration room at O'Brien Field at 4:45 PM. They will also sign autographs from 5:30-6:00 PM on the concourse, as well as throw out a ceremonial first pitch prior to the game.
The Chiefs will wear custom Illini jersey's during the game that will be auctioned off throughout the game. The jerseys are orange with ILLINOIS spelled out on the front in white and the numbers on the front are also while with navy blue trim. The sleeves are white with a Chiefs logo on the left sleeve and a "Power I" Illinois logo on the right sleeve. The Chiefs players jerseys and special Illinois jerseys (#31, #33, #41, #55) will be auctioned off during the game in silent auction format. Manager Ryne Sandberg's jersey, and a #07 Bruce Weber signed jersey will be auctioned off live following the game. All of the proceeds will benefit the Louis and Dawn Weber Student Management Enrichment Fund at the University of Illinois.
Weber is entering his fifth season at the helm of the Illinois basketball program after four of the most successful years in the program's history. Weber is a remarkable 112-28 at Illinois as well as 48-16 in Big 10 play. He has made an appearance in the NCAA Tournament in each of his first four seasons with three trips to the Sweet 16 and an appearance in the 2005 National Championship game. This past season the Fighting Illini fell to Virginia Tech in the first round of the NCAA tournament as a 12 seed. Prior to coming to Illinois in 2003, he spent five seasons as the head coach at Southern Illinois where he also made two tournament appearances as well as a Sweet 16 run in 2002.
McClain, a Peoria native, spent 18 seasons as an assistant coach at Peoria Manual High School before taking over the head coaching spot in 1995. He was part of four consecutive State Championships, one as an assistant and three as the head coach. He joined the University of Illinois coaching staff in 2002.
Sylvia McNair will perform the National Anthem prior to the 6:30 PM game. Ms. McNair has made over 70 recordings ranging from classical to Broadway Musicals. Ms. McNair performed the Anthem at this season's Illinois-Indiana basketball game in Bloomington, IN.
A native of Mansfield, Ohio, McNair earned a Masters degree from the Indiana University School of Music and has received honorary doctorates from Westminster College and IU. She is currently on the voice faculty at IU's Jacobs School of Music. She won a Grammy Award in 1986 for The Echoing Air and also sang on the 1994 Grammy Award winning recording of Handel's Semele. She has performed in Operas all over the world including Vienna, Salzburg, London, San Francisco and New York. She is also a frequent guest soloist with major European and American orchestras.
The ZOOperstars will also be on hand during Friday night's game providing pre-game as well as in-game entertainment. The stars that will be on hand include: Deion Salamanders, Peyton Manatee, Clammy Sosa, Dennis Frogman and Harry Canary.
Midwest League Stories from May 23, 2007
- Bees Cool Loons Hot Bats - Burlington Bees
- Back to back homers sink Kernels, 6-5 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Loons Drop Game Three of Series to Bees - Great Lakes Loons
- Atlantic 10 Championships Continue Thursday at Fifth Third Field - Dayton Dragons
- Valaika's Four RBIs Lead Dayton to Victory - Dayton Dragons
- Eight and Counting - Beloit Snappers
- Another Late Rally Falls Short for Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Lugnuts Power Past Peoria - Lansing Lugnuts
- Chiefs Fall to Lansing 8-2 Wednesday Night - Peoria Chiefs
- Beloit pitchers dominate the Whitecaps - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Rattlers Have Cougars Feeling Lo - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Ready for Second Annual Illini Night with Coach Weber - Peoria Chiefs
- Santana, Jansen Swap Roster Spots - Great Lakes Loons
- Check Out the Red Hot Snappers - Beloit Snappers
- Swing beat Silver Hawks under the sun - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Kernels raise over $2,700 on ALS Awareness Night - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hopping on with Epping - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Napolitan Headed to D.L. - West Michigan Whitecaps
- 'Caps Are Back in Town - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Loons to Visit Local Schools - Great Lakes Loons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.