Phantoms upend PenguinsDecember 26, 2006 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Adirondack Phantoms
Thanks in large part to starting goaltenders Scott Munroe and Jeff Deslauriers, the fourth meeting of the season between the intrastate rivals stayed scoreless in the first. The Phantoms had some quality efforts, including a 1-1 with Philadelphia's Triston Grant alone at the top of the crease, only to be denied by the glove hand of Deslauriers.
While the day after Christmas is a day known for exchanging sweaters that are a size too big and trading out ties that never should have been under the tree, this Boxing Day affair saw punches traded before any gifts or goals were exchanged. The second period featured some fireworks with Phantom Frederik Cabana squaring off in a long bout with thorn Daniel Carcillo. The heavyweight event, only three seconds after the doors closed behind the earlier combatants, saw Philly's Martin Grenier mix it up with AHL's all-time penalty minute leader Dennis Bonvie.
When the dust cleared and the penalties had expired, Grenier notched his first point of the season. Slaney entered the Pens zone before dumping the puck ad changing with Grenier. The 6-5, 245 pound defenseman went across the ice and snuck down the right wing, where he was waiting when Dimitrakos threaded the puck to him from the opposite sidewall. Grenier's one-timer caught a piece of iron and then the back of the net for the 1-0 lead with just 1:56 remaining in the period.
In the third period, Kyle Brodzniak tied the game with a goal at 9:26. Brodzniak tossed a rebound towards the net, which initially hit the post before taking an atypical bounce and crawling across the goal line.
But Dimitrakos answered with his first of the game less than three minutes later. Slaney fed a puck to the neutral zone for Cabana on the left wing. Cabana took it to the top of the left-wing circle before feeding it to Dimitrakos in the slot. Dimitrakos put the puck home on the backhand at 12:10, giving his club the 2-1 advantage. He later closed out the scoring with an empty-netter with 11 seconds remaining.
Munroe made 27 saves on 28 shots to earn the win. Deslauriers faced 23 of Philadelphia's 24 shots, stopping 21 of them.
The Phantoms continue their midweek road swing tomorrow night at Hershey when they visit the Bears in a 7:05 start. They'll return to the Wachovia Spectrum on Friday, December 29 to host the Providence Bruins. Individual tickets for all Phantoms games, including $8 tickets for children 14 and under anywhere in the building, are on sale now at phantomshockey.com or by calling 800-298-4200.
American Hockey League Stories from December 26, 2006
- Rampage rally falls short - San Antonio Rampage
- Stars win third straight - Iowa Chops
- Houston survives late goal - Houston Aeros
- Senators cruise past Crunch, 4-2 - Binghamton Senators
- Peoria Powers Past Griffins, 4-3 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wolf Pack Recall Lee, Bahensky and Constant from Charlotte - Connecticut Whale
- Phantoms upend Penguins - Adirondack Phantoms
- Hershey Beats Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rivermen Power Through Grand Rapids 4-3 on the Road - Peoria Rivermen
- Bears back in first place after downing Bridgeport, 6-3 - Hershey Bears
- 'Dogs hold on to down Amerks - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Pair called up to New York - Connecticut Whale
- Hamilton Bulldogs weekly - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Phantoms week in review - Adirondack Phantoms
- Portland Pirates Weekly Report - Portland Pirates
- Rampage sign Ferraro, Paddock to PTO - San Antonio Rampage
- Admirals Keep Pace Near Top of Tight East Division Race - Norfolk Admirals
- Oilers send Roy back to Bulldogs and recall Hejda - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Rochester hosts Hamilton tonight - Rochester Americans
- Bears' Laing named CCM Vector/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Lowell Splits the Week - Albany Devils
- Rampage Week 12 Report - San Antonio Rampage
- Sound Tigers News - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Monarchs Report - Manchester Monarchs
- Binghamton Senators weekly - Binghamton Senators
- Bears begin five games in six nights Tuesday - Hershey Bears
- Ellis Returns to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Flames Recall Regehr, Moss From Knights - Abbotsford Heat
- Worcester signs Prudden to Professional Tryout Agreement - Worcester Sharks
- Flames Send Ference, Germyn to Knights - Abbotsford Heat
- Aeros Gameday - Houston Aeros
- Sharks Look to Ring in New Year with "Bang" - Worcester Sharks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.