Sharks Look to Ring in New Year with "Bang"December 26, 2006 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Worcester Sharks
12.26.06 - Worcester vs. Hartford - DCU Center
12.30.06 - Worcester vs. Portland - DCU Center
A Quick Look Back
12.22.06 - Worcester 6 - Manchester 4
The Worcester Sharks took the DCU Center ice on Friday night looking for two points for the Atlantic Division standings and a win in front of their own fans. Although the Sharks have been fantastic on the road, Team Teal hadn't won on home ice since November 11. The Sharks did not disappoint as they came out with a thrilling 6-4 win. Veteran forward Mathieu Darche ended a nine-game goal scoring drought with a hat trick. Linemate Graham Mink also had a big night with four assists.
12.23.06 - Lowell 2 - Worcester 1
The Lowell Devils beat the Worcester Sharks in a shootout by a score of 2-1 on Saturday night at the DCU Center. The Sharks did take one point, however, after Justin Kurtz tied it up with five minutes left to play in the game to force overtime.
Sharks forward Mathieu Darche can't seem to get enough of being first at everything this season. Back on October 6, Darche became the first player to ever score a goal in a Worcester Sharks uniform. Then on October 14, the Montreal native slammed home the first goal on home ice at the DCU Center in a Worcester Sharks uniform. Apparently he wasn't finished because on Friday night, Darche ended a nine-game scoreless drought when he pumped home three goals and added two assists for a five-point night. The feat makes Darche the first player in Worcester Sharks Franchise History to record a hat trick and a five-point game. The Montreal native is currently tied for second in the AHL in power play goals with 11 and even strength goals with 22.
Graham Mink tied a season high four assists on Saturday night against the Lowell Devils. It was the second time this season Mink had four helpers. The native of Vermont has played in 12 games and tallied two goals and 13 assists for 15 points. Mink has missed 14 games this season due to injury.
Power Play Prowess...
The Sharks tied two team records for most power play goals in a game and period on Friday night against Manchester. Worcester exploded for four goals in the second period against Jason LaBarbera with two coming on the man-advantage. Team Teal had a total of four power play goals in the game, a feat they have accomplished just four times this season. Their power play is currently ranked third in the league, trailing Wilkes-Barre/Scranton and Norfolk, respectively. The Sharks have converted 37 times out of 168 chances for a 22 percent success rate.
On Saturday, December 30, the Sharks will have a Fireworks display inside the DCU Center following a game against the Portland Pirates. The Sharks urge fans to attend the game and enjoy the post-game fireworks to ring in the New Year with a "bang!!" Saturday night means another Saturday Night Signing following the fireworks display.
Crash The Net...
For more information on the Worcester Sharks, you can CRASH THE NET at www.sharksahl.com. If you have not signed up for our Sharks Tales newsletter yet, do it now and keep up-to-date with Sharks news.
American Hockey League Stories from December 26, 2006
- Rampage rally falls short - San Antonio Rampage
- Stars win third straight - Iowa Chops
- Houston survives late goal - Houston Aeros
- Senators cruise past Crunch, 4-2 - Binghamton Senators
- Peoria Powers Past Griffins, 4-3 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wolf Pack Recall Lee, Bahensky and Constant from Charlotte - Connecticut Whale
- Phantoms upend Penguins - Adirondack Phantoms
- Hershey Beats Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rivermen Power Through Grand Rapids 4-3 on the Road - Peoria Rivermen
- Bears back in first place after downing Bridgeport, 6-3 - Hershey Bears
- 'Dogs hold on to down Amerks - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Pair called up to New York - Connecticut Whale
- Hamilton Bulldogs weekly - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Phantoms week in review - Adirondack Phantoms
- Portland Pirates Weekly Report - Portland Pirates
- Rampage sign Ferraro, Paddock to PTO - San Antonio Rampage
- Admirals Keep Pace Near Top of Tight East Division Race - Norfolk Admirals
- Oilers send Roy back to Bulldogs and recall Hejda - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Rochester hosts Hamilton tonight - Rochester Americans
- Bears' Laing named CCM Vector/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Lowell Splits the Week - Albany Devils
- Rampage Week 12 Report - San Antonio Rampage
- Sound Tigers News - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Monarchs Report - Manchester Monarchs
- Binghamton Senators weekly - Binghamton Senators
- Bears begin five games in six nights Tuesday - Hershey Bears
- Ellis Returns to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Flames Recall Regehr, Moss From Knights - Abbotsford Heat
- Worcester signs Prudden to Professional Tryout Agreement - Worcester Sharks
- Flames Send Ference, Germyn to Knights - Abbotsford Heat
- Aeros Gameday - Houston Aeros
- Sharks Look to Ring in New Year with "Bang" - Worcester Sharks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.