Chiefs sign defenseman Doug AndressAugust 21, 2006 - ECHL (ECHL) - Johnstown Chiefs
Andress appeared in 64 regular season games with the Chiefs in 2005-06, scoring 37 points (6g, 31a) and earning one assist in five Kelly Cup Playoff games. The Iroquois Falls, Ont.-native also appeared in one game with the Omaha Ak-Sar-Ben Knights of the American Hockey League, and in three games with the Springfield Falcons, the Chiefs' AHL affiliate, Andress registered his first career AHL goal.
"Doug is an experienced player," said Chiefs head coach Frank Anzalone. "He's strong on the power play and he enjoys playing in Johnstown. He's going into his third pro season, and with the interest in him show by Tampa Bay and Springfield, we're expecting him to perform at a high level this season."
"During the 2004-05 season, I made a trade with Toledo, and I specified that I wanted Doug Andress because I loved the way he played as an opposing coach," stated Chiefs Executive Vice President and General Manager Toby O'Brien. "Doug came to Johnstown with a great attitude, and he worked hard for the team, his teammates, and his coach, and he reaped the rewards of that hard work by having a great season. It was a pleasure to work with Doug, and when we agreed to terms I felt that getting him was a great building block for success for the 2006-07 Chiefs."
The 6-2, 210-pound Andress has appeared in 133 ECHL regular season games with Johnstown, South Carolina, and Toledo, scoring 56 points (11g, 45a), and has one assist and eight penalty minutes in nine Kelly Cup Playoff games with Johnstown and Toledo.
The Johnstown Chiefs, "AA" affiliate of the NHL's Tampa Bay Lightning, begin their 19th season as a member of the ECHL on October 21, 2006 at the Cambria County War Memorial in downtown Johnstown against the Pensacola Ice Pilots. Season tickets are currently on sale and may be purchased by calling (814) 539-1799 or 1-(800) SLAPSHOT.
ECHL Stories from August 21, 2006
- Spike behind bars, bail set at $2,400 - Long Beach Ice Dogs
- Condors Support Healthy Hearts - Bakersfield Condors
- Rays Hire New Equipment Manager - South Carolina Stingrays
- Ice Pilots attend opening of YMCA in Navarre - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Rays Announce Schedule Changes - South Carolina Stingrays
- Chiefs sign defenseman Doug Andress - Johnstown Chiefs
- Condors begin announcing special events - Bakersfield Condors
- Gladiators Schedule Altered - Gwinnett Gladiators
- Wildcatters Sign Pair of Rookies - Texas Wildcatters
- Ice Pilots announce changes to schedule, start times to games - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Carl's Jr. Named Presenting Sponsor of Opening Weekend - Fresno Falcons
- Titans announce changes to '06-07 schedule - Trenton Devils
- Royals' Schedule Undergoes Minor Modifications - Reading Royals
- Chiefs' January visit to Reading rescheduled - Johnstown Chiefs
- Stingrays Weekly - South Carolina Stingrays
- Lynx announce changes to 2006-07 season schedule - Augusta Lynx
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.