Wellwood's five-goal night named CCM AHL Milestone of the MonthNovember 2, 2004 - American Hockey League (AHL) Press Release
On Oct. 30, in the second game of a two-game set against the Cleveland Barons at Mile One Stadium, Wellwood carved his name in the record books by scoring five times, helping the Maple Leafs to an 8-3 victory. His historic night began with two power-play goals in the first period, as St. Johns built an early 3-0 lead. Wellwood capped his first professional hat trick at the 5:48 mark of the second period, then added his fourth goal of the night 6:02 into the third. He then joined exclusive company with 2:09 to go in the game, when he netted his fifth goal of the night.
The five-goal effort allowed Wellwood to set a Maple Leafs franchise record for a goals in a game, surpassing the previous mark of four held by Yanic Perreault, Todd Gillingham and Kelly Fairchild. It was also the first five-goal game by an AHL player in nearly six years.
A native of Windsor, Ont., Wellwood was the AHLs top-scoring rookie in 2003-04 with 55 points (20 goals, 35 assists) in 76 games. The 2004 AHL All-Star now has six goals and five assists for 11 points in nine games with St. Johns this season, and was the CCM/Vector AHL Player of the Week for Oct. 25-31.
In recognition of the honor, Wellwood will be presented with an etched crystal award prior to an upcoming Maple Leafs home game.
Five goals in one AHL game, last 10 seasons
Kyle Wellwood, St. John's Oct. 30, 2004 vs. Cleveland
Randy Robitaille, Providence Nov. 25, 1998 at Syracuse
Brendan Morrison, Albany Apr. 1, 1998 at Hartford
Sebastien Bordeleau, Fredericton Apr. 5, 1997 at Portland
David Nemirovsky, Carolina Dec. 27, 1996 vs. Baltimore
David Sacco, Baltimore Dec. 2, 1995 at Binghamton
Ken Gernander, Binghamton Nov. 4, 1995 vs. P.E.I.
Pavol Demitra, P.E.I. Oct. 13, 1995 at Fredericton
American Hockey League Stories from November 2, 2004
- Bulldogs Score for the 'Cycle' as they defeat the Barons - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Maple Leafs Aliant Nathan Dempsey Night This Saturday - Toronto Marlies
- Phantoms Flier - Adirondack Phantoms
- Keith Aucoin returning to Providence - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Announce Details of Price Chopper AdvantEdge Card Discount - Syracuse Crunch
- IceCats Defenseman Earns AHL Award - Worcester IceCats
- Wellwood's five-goal night named CCM AHL Milestone of the Month - AHL
- Hartford's LaBarbera named Koho AHL Goaltender of the Month - AHL
- Worcester's Wideman named Reebok AHL Rookie of the Month - AHL
- Falcons to Challenge Portland, Lowell, and Hartford in Week Four - Springfield Falcons
- Aeros weekly report - Houston Aeros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.