Jon Knott promoted to San DiegoMay 28, 2004 - Midwest League (MWL) Fort Wayne TinCaps
Knott becomes the 42nd player in Fort Wayne Wizards history to reach the major league level and third in the last week following Cliff Bartosh (Cleveland Indians) and Justin Germano (Padres). Knott began the 2002 season with the Wizards, hitting .333 with three home runs and 18 runs batted in during 37 games. He had a slugging percentage of .548 and an on-base percentage of .411.
He was promoted to the Lake Elsinore Storm midway through his first season of professional baseball and hit .341 to lead the California League with eight home runs and 73 RBI. He shared the Padres Minor League Player of the Year with former Wizard Josh Barfield during the 2002 season.
Knott spent the 2003 season with Double-A Mobile, hitting .252 with 27 homers, 32 doubles and 82 RBI in 127 games. He finished the season with Portland and opened this year with the Padres Triple-A team.
Before being called up to San Diego, Knott was hitting .308 with 11 doubles, two triples, 13 home runs and 47 RBI in 43 games. He was leading the Pacific Coast League with his 47 runs batted in and was tied for third in homers and fourth in extra base hits with 26.
Midwest League Stories from May 28, 2004
- Cougars lose to the Hawks 2 - 0 - Kane County Cougars
- Peoria Pummels Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Beloit Bests 'Caps in Series Opener - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Medlock Masterful as Dragons down Wizards 5-2 - Dayton Dragons
- Snappers Win Third in a Row - Beloit Snappers
- Springer Home Run in 9th Lifts Bees Over Yankees - Burlington Bees
- Battle Creek Yankees lose to the Burlington Bees 8-7 - Southwest Michigan Devil Rays
- Back into first - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Corchado returns to pitching staff - Kane County Cougars
- Party on the Pavilion - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dempster to pitch for Lansing - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hold the Peanuts! Whitecaps Host Second Annual Peanut Free Baseball Game - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Jon Knott promoted to San Diego - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- LumberKings fall: Split series with Fort Wayne - Clinton LumberKings
- 'Caps Win Game, Lose Shortstop - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Bees Drop Three of Four in Peoria - Burlington Bees
- Cougars lose to the Snappers 5 - 4 - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.