Grizzlies Host Hartford Tonight; Gord Dineen's Jersey to be RetiredJanuary 17, 2004 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Utah Grizzlies
Dineen played parts of six seasons between 1994 and 2000 with the Grizzlies winning back-to-back Turner Cups in 1995 with the Denver Grizzlies and in 1996 with the Utah Grizzlies. In 440 career games with Utah, Dineen scored 19 goals with 147 assists ranking him as the top scoring Grizzlies defenseman and fourth overall on the franchises point list.
The Toronto native played in 528 NHL games during his 18-year professional career scoring 16 goals with 90 assists and 695 penalty minutes.
Since retiring, Dineen has made strides in the coaching ranks leading two East Coast Hockey League franchises, Macon (2001-02) and Richmond (2002-03), and serving as the assistant coach for the American Hockey League's Louisville Panthers (2000-01). Currently, Dineen serves as the assistant coach of the Springfield Falcons of the AHL.
The 2003-04 version of the Grizzlies will be beginning a six-game home stand tonight against Hartford, a team Utah defeated in early December 4-2 in Connecticut. The Wolf Pack will remain in town and challenge the Grizzlies again on Monday afternoon (Martin Luther King Day) at 1:00 PM.
Hartford (22-12-6-1) is the top team in the Atlantic Division and is without a loss in their last six games (4-0-2). They are led by goaltender Jason LaBarbera who comes into play tonight with a 15-5-5 record and a 1.58 goals against average.
Utah (14-21-4-3) is scratching away in the West Division trailing both San Antonio and Houston by four points for the fifth and final playoff spot in the division.
Tonight's game will also be the second annual Guns N Hoses night at the 'E' Center. The police will play the firemen in a 2:00 PM start at the 'E' Center with proceeds from ticket sales going to the University of Utah of Burn Camp.
American Hockey League Stories from January 17, 2004
- Falcons Fall to Lowell, 4-2 - Springfield Falcons
- Aeros, Rampage skate to 1-1 tie - Houston Aeros
- Roadrunners lose to Amerks - Edmonton Road Runners
- Griffins in Seventh Heaven after 2-1 Win in OT - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Coyotes Reassign Reirden to Falcons after Trade with Anaheim - Springfield Falcons
- Griffins Get "Animated" for Cartoon Night - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Reirden Traded to Phoenix - Cincinnati RailRaiders
- Bears Inch Closer to First Place with 4-2 Win over Bridgeport - Hershey Bears
- Monarchs End Scoreless Streak; Win Big On Home Ice - Manchester Monarchs
- Ducks can't sink Admirals - Cincinnati RailRaiders
- Phantoms lose 4-3 in Wilkes-Barre - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sound Tigers Lose 4-2 In Hershey - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Michaud records second straight shutout - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Rampage Game Day - San Antonio Rampage
- Penguins Release Ben Blais from PTO - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Aeros Game Day - Houston Aeros
- Grizzlies Host Hartford Tonight; Gord Dineen's Jersey to be Retired - Utah Grizzlies
- Bears Fall to Phantoms for Seventh Straight Time - Hershey Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.