Condors Add Three To RosterApril 5, 2003 - ECHL (ECHL) - Bakersfield Condors Press Release
Norrie, 20, and Hamula, 21, have been teammates during the last two seasons while playing for the Kootenay Ice of the Western Hockey League. In 2002, they won the coveted Memorial Cup with the Ice, as junior champions. At the end of this season, the Vancouver Giants acquired them both. The Giants were eliminated in the first round of the playoffs, making them eligible to sign with a professional club.
A native of Calgary, Norrie is a physical right wing that racked up 172 penalty minutes in 71 games this season. He also chipped in with 14g-11a-25pts. His best year came two seasons ago, when he scored 24 goals and 48 points. En route to the Cup in 2002, he recorded 14 points in 22 playoff games.
Hamula, a left wing, hails from Edmonton, and is coming off his best season in juniors. He notched 20g-30a-50pts in 66 games this year with Ice before joining the Giants for the post season.
Martin, 20, was 0-2 between the pipes for Bakersfield earlier this season, allowing five goals with a save percentage of .900. The Condors scored just one goal in his two starts, combined. He returned to the WHL with Calgary, and over the entire season, amassed a record of 15-18-2, with a 3.19 GAA and .897 save percentage. The Condors placed him on suspension when he returned to juniors, and needed only to activate him today.
In other news, center Shawn Byram has been placed on injured reserve, while defenseman Mike Marostega was activated today. The IR for the regular season ends on Monday and Byram will not be required to sit out the regular 14-day term.
The Condors host the Idaho Steelheads twice this weekend to finish up the regular season. Fridays game features the return of the Rug Rats to Centennial Garden, courtesy of Time Warner Cable and KBID 1350. That game will be televised on Time Warner Cable Ch.21, and replayed on Saturday afternoon at 4:00pm. Saturdays match is Cap Giveaway Night for the first 2,000 fans, sponsored by Real Rock 104.3 and R.A. Kleiner Insurance. Both games start at 7:00pm.
The Condors will host Games 1 and 2 of the 2003 Taylor Cup Playoffs against the rival San Diego Gulls on April 11th and 12th. Individual tickets can be purchased at the Centennial Garden Box Office, which opens at 10:00am Monday through Saturday, by calling Ticketmaster at 322-2525, online at ticketmaster.com or stopping by any Ticketmaster location. Season tickets and group outings may be purchased by calling 324-PUCK (7825) or by visiting the Condors office next to Centennial Garden.
Condors droppings: Stats for Hamula, Norrie and Martin to follow Both Games 1 and 2 of the Taylor Cup Playoffs against the San Diego Gulls will be carried live on Time Warner Cable Ch. 21 (Digital Ch. 21).
ECHL Stories from April 5, 2003
- Falcons End Regular Season on Winning Note - Fresno Falcons
- Generals Win 3-2, Look to Close out Express - Greensboro Generals
- Gulls Out-Gun Anchorage, 6-4 - San Diego Gulls
- IceGators advance to SW Division Finals with 3-1 win - Louisiana IceGators
- Sea Wolves Sweep Ice Pilots, Winning 5-1 - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- IceGators advance with 3-1 win - Louisiana IceGators
- IceGators Eliminate RiverBlades - Arkansas RiverBlades
- Cyclones Take 2-1 Series Lead in Sudden Death - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Pride take game one in Charleston 3-0 - Myrtle Beach Thunderboltz
- Colonel Clawds Ransom To Raise Money For Junior Achievement - Bakersfield Condors
- Falcons Lose in Shootout - Fresno Falcons
- Storm's Doug Teskey Named Sun National Bank Saver Of The Month - ECHL
- Chiefs' Dominic Forget Named Sher-Wood Player Of The Month - ECHL
- All Along the Coast - ECHL
- Eklund Called Up to Springfield - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Ice Dogs Trade Goals, Win in Shootout - Long Beach Ice Dogs
- Anchorage Rises Up, Stuns San Diego - Alaska Aces
- Val Bitsoi Wins Ford Focus At Grizzlies Game - Utah Grizzlies
- Gulls Fall To Anchorage; But Still Clinch Second Place - San Diego Gulls
- Roanoke rolls 3-1 to victory - Greensboro Generals
- Grizzlies End Home Drought With Late Victory Over Griffins - Utah Grizzlies
- Condors Add Three To Roster - Bakersfield Condors
- Buddy Smith Named ECHL MVP - ECHL
- Buddy Smith Named ECHL Most Valuable Player - Arkansas RiverBlades
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Buzak to Retire - Long Beach Ice Dogs
- Pederson Named Forward of the Year - San Diego Gulls
- Inferno win Game two, 6-4 at the Carolina Coliseum - Greenville Grrrowl
- Sea Wolves Power Past Ice Pilots, 5-1 - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- Steelheads Steal 4-3 Win - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.