6-1 Victory Pulls Wild Things Within 1 Game of First
It is no secret to fast-food junkies across the nation that the sauce makes a McDonald's Big Mac, and in tonight's ballgame at CONSOL ENERGY Park, starter Shawn Smith's pitching performance was the perfect ingredient to a recipe mixed with offensive power for Washington's (15-9) third win in four days.
It is a tradition at the ballpark that fans win a free Big Mac from McDonald's when an opponent strikeouts during the game, right-fielder CJ Henry was just one of seven strikeouts for the southpaw in the Washington Wild Things, presented by Washington Financial, 6-1 victory over the visiting Evansville Otters (16-8), moving them within one game behind Evansville for first place in the Eastern Division of the Frontier League.
The Things' wasted no time putting runs on the scoreboard. Third baseman Jovan Rosa belted a two-run home run in the bottom of the first inning, scoring second baseman CJ Beatty who singled.
Washington plated one more run in the second when outfielder Darian Sandford, who stole both second and third and swiped his 24th and 25th league-leading stolen base, scored on an errant throw by catcher John Nester.
Ahead by three runs in the bottom of the seventh frame, right fielder Shain Stoner, belted a solo shot to left, and second baseman CJ Beatty, collected an inside-the-parker, giving the club a 6-1 advantage. Tonight marks the first time the Wild Things' blasted back-to-back homeruns this season.
Smith, who kept on pace with the rest of his pitching staff's league-best 3.26 ERA, tossed seven innings of one-run baseball, allowing 8 hits, walking four and striking out seven Otter hitters.
The Washington Wild Things play again Saturday night in a 7:05 first pitch against the Otters. Tickets are available and to purchase seats, stop by the CONSOL ENERGY Park Box Office or visit www.washingtonwildthings.com .
Frontier League Stories from June 14, 2013
- James Frisbie Era Begins with Rockford Win over Crushers - Rockford Aviators
- ThunderBolts Shut out by Miners - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Crushers fall in series opener - Lake Erie Crushers
- Grizzlies Extend Win Streak to Eight Games; Longest Win Streak Since 2007 - Gateway Grizzlies
- Vancil Dazzles in Shutout - Southern Illinois Miners
- Boomers Outduel Rascals - Schaumburg Boomers
- CornBelters Drop Pitchers' Duel at Gateway - Normal CornBelters
- Beach Bums Break Open Game Late to Win - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Nester Shines in Otters Series Opening Loss - Evansville Otters
- 6-1 Victory Pulls Wild Things Within 1 Game of First - Washington Wild Things
- Freedom Hold off Greys to Win Opener, 4-3 - Florence Freedom
- CornBelters Sign Rookie Catcher - Normal CornBelters
- Otters vs. Wild Things - Game Notes - June 14, 2013 - Evansville Otters
- Slammers vs. Beach Bums - Game Notes - June 14, 2013 - Joliet Slammers
- Aviators Announce Upcoming Promotions - Rockford Aviators
- Freedom Sign RHP Chuck Weaver After Tryout - Florence Freedom
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.