2009 NYPL All-Star Game Rosters Announced
Brooklyn leads all teams with six bids, host Spikes earn three All-Star nods
STATE COLLEGE, PA - The rosters for the New York-Penn League All-Star Game have been released for both the American and National League squads, who will face off on Tuesday, August 18 at Medlar Field at Lubrano Park in State College, Pennsylvania.
The host State College Spikes will have three players on the National League roster. Infielder Brock Holt will join pitchers Phillip Irwin and Zach Foster on the National League squad. Holt, the Pirates' ninth-round draft pick is hitting .256 for the Spikes with a team-leading six home runs and 23 runs batted in as of August 11. Irwin has a 1-1 record and has allowed just one earned run in his first 22 professional innings, for an ERA of 0.41. Foster is 2-0 with a 1.10 ERA in 13 appearances through August 11.
The Brooklyn Cylcones lead the National League with six All-Stars. First baseman Sam Honeck, outfielder Luis Rivera, and catcher Dock Doyle will join pitchers Michael Powers, James Fuller and Mark Cohoon in representing the Mets' affiliate on the NL All-Star squad. Cyclones manager Pedro Lopez and his coaching staff will also be at the helm of the National League in the All-Star Game.
Five Williamsport Crosscutters also made the NL All-Stars. Catcher Sebastian Valle, first baseman Francisco Murillo, shortstop Jeremy Barnes, outfielder Leandro Castro and pitcher Austin Hyatt will represent the Phillies' affiliate. Vermont will send four players to the game, with infielders Francisco Soriano and Sean Nicol joining pitchers Mitchell Clegg and Evan Bronson in representing the Nationals' affiliate. Batavia, Jamestown and Tri-City will each have three players on the National League roster.
The American League roster is led by the Staten Island Yankees, with six representatives earning All-Star bids. New York-Penn League home run leader and Yankees outfielder Neil Medchill joins teammates Jimmy Paredes, Zoilo Almonte, and DeAngelo Mack as position players on the AL All-Star team. Staten Island pitchers Francisco Rondon and Adam Warren also earned berths in the All-Star Game.
Mahoning Valley, the team with the best record in the New York-Penn League through August 11, will also have five players on the AL squad, with infielder Kyle Smith joining outfielder Jordan Henry and pitchers Corey Burns, Marty Popham and Clayton Cook in making the journey to State College. Mahoning Valley manager Travis Fryman and his coaching staff will also be at the All-Star Game to guide the American League team. Fryman was a five-time participant in the Major League All-Star Game.
Lowell earned four All-Star nods, with infielders Chris McGuiness and Derrik Gibson, designated hitter Ryan Westmoreland, and and pitcher Jose Alvarez earning All-Star bids for the Red Sox affiliate Oneonta, the current Stedler Division leader, will also send four players to play for the American League in the NYPL All-Star Game, with Aberdeen, Hudson Valley, and Auburn each earning three All-Star berths.
First pitch for the All-Star Game is scheduled for 7:15 p.m., with a Celebrity Home Run Derby before the game and a spectacular post-game fireworks display. Tickets for the 2009 New York Penn-League All-Star Game and the All-Star Mountain Bash the night before are still available, and can be purchased by visiting the Spikes Box Office at Medlar Field at Lubrano Park, calling the Spikes toll-free at (877) 99-SPIKES, or by logging on to StateCollegeSpikes.com.
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from August 12, 2009
- Tigers Maul Spikes - State College Spikes
- Scrappers Defeat Cyclones 12-1 - Mahoning Valley Scrappers
- Batavia Beats Vermont - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Hudson Valley Fails to Hold Lead in a 5-3 Loss to Tri-City - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Spikes-Tigers Game Postponed - State College Spikes
- Four Lake Monsters Selected To NY-Penn League All-Star Game - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Four IronBirds Honored as All-Stars - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Spinners Pitcher Yeiper Castillo Added To All-Star Roster - Lowell Spinners
- Five Crosscutters Named to All-Star Squad - Williamsport Crosscutters
- State College Spikes Game Notes - State College Spikes
- Four Spinners Headed To Ny-Penn League All-Star Game - Lowell Spinners
- Three Muckdogs Make All-Star Roster - Batavia Muckdogs
- 2009 NYPL All-Star Game Rosters Announced - State College Spikes
- IronBirds Game Notes August 12th - Aberdeen IronBirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.