Minor League Sports News on OurSports Central
October 21, 2014
Minor League Games Today
Follow OSC on
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

OurSports Central Independent and Minor League Sports Forums
As the home for independent and minor league sports, OurSports Central's message boards are the perfect place to discuss your favorite teams and leagues with other fans, players and team and league administrators. Our boards cover all the leagues represented on OSC including independent and minor league baseball, indoor and Arena football, outdoor and indoor lacrosse, mens and womens basketball, junior and minor league hockey, outdoor and indoor soccer and more. Before posting for the first time, please consult our FAQ. Contact us with any questions.

#1   IP: 71.17.132.12
Old 04-21-2007, 08:30 PM

Default Article About Saskatoon Team

I found this in this morning's Star-Phoenix and noticed it wasn't posted on the IBL section.

Pro b-ball entrepreneur arrives with certain baggage
Kevin Mitchell, The StarPhoenix
Published: Saturday, April 21, 2007

Troy Burns's history includes angry creditors, financial miscues and bad optics.

Now he is headed to Saskatoon with a whopping challenge: Convincing people in this pro-sports-jaded city his professional basketball team is here for the long haul.

Burns, who recently announced he is putting International Basketball League teams into both Saskatoon and Edmonton for 2008, concedes that a series of controversies he has been enmeshed in the last few years don't look good on the surface.

"Everyone has a past," says Burns, who signed a lease with Credit Union Centre on Tuesday. "But in no way does it reflect on the basketball team at all. We're solid guys."

Burns was a hot topic in Port Alberni, B.C., late last summer when his disappearance signalled the end of the Aquadisiac Restaurant and the Rhino Club. He'd started both business ventures a few months earlier.

Burns left unpaid bills and his employees say they didn't receive their final paycheques.

Burns's mother told the Alberni Valley Times she sympathized with the restaurant employees who lost out on paycheques.

"I feel so bad for them," Balbir Burns said the day her son left town. "They're single moms -- I'm a single mom, too. I know what it's like."

She later added he should have "dealt with his problems instead of running away."

Burns said Tuesday that his restaurant business, Burns Holdings Ltd., is going through bankruptcy proceedings. He said his employees almost certainly won't see their unpaid wages.

He explained his decision to leave town abruptly by saying "I was fed up with the rumours and the other stuff. I was like 'You know what? It's not working. That's it.' "

Burns, who has never returned to Port Alberni, is also a much-discussed figure in the ball hockey community both in Canada and Europe.

Domenic DiGironimo, the president of the International Street and Ball Hockey Federation, questions Burns's ability to run a professional basketball franchise. He has received many angry e-mails the last few years from ball-hockey players wanting to track Burns down.

"Word gets around pretty quick when something like this happens," DiGironimo said of financial losses suffered by ball hockey players, which he pins on Burns. "He impacted on the entire international ball hockey community and he's still out there."

Calgary's Jason Smith says Burns collected $2,000 from him -- and varying amounts of cash from other players -- while organizing a United Kingdom team for the 2005 world ball hockey championship in Pittsburgh. Smith claims Burns became unreachable two weeks before the tourney and team members had to pay out of their own pockets a second time to make the trip on short notice.

Smith hasn't seen or heard from his former teammate since.

The StarPhoenix (Saskatoon) 2007
http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarp...5-1af887ff2a6f

I hope he's learned from his mistakes and isn't an owner of the ABA's caliber.
  #2   IP: 68.148.122.181
Old 04-22-2007, 12:59 PM

Default Saskatoon Team

Well from what I have heard of the ballhockey is that he worked for the national assocaition and was the guy who was blamed for it but I also know that the guys airfare was paid back last year because I also play ballhockey and have heard the stories as for the restaurant I have no idea but he does operate a succesful junior team as well has a few other businesses had haven't heard anything bad about them. Talking to my friend who know's one of the owner's told me that the owner of the Sakatoon team will pull out so that it does not effect the other partners but the other partners have said they will pull out to so Saskatoon may not get a team after all.
  #3   IP: 66.24.83.207
Old 04-22-2007, 03:13 PM

Ut-Oh - if he has a history of cutting and running when things get tough, then minor league basketball is the last place he should be. I hope the IBL checked him out.....
  #4   IP: 71.17.132.12
Old 04-22-2007, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm View Post
Well from what I have heard of the ballhockey is that he worked for the national assocaition and was the guy who was blamed for it but I also know that the guys airfare was paid back last year because I also play ballhockey and have heard the stories as for the restaurant I have no idea but he does operate a succesful junior team as well has a few other businesses had haven't heard anything bad about them. Talking to my friend who know's one of the owner's told me that the owner of the Sakatoon team will pull out so that it does not effect the other partners but the other partners have said they will pull out to so Saskatoon may not get a team after all.
There are other partners?

The way the article reads Troy Burns has no intentions of pulling out. Plus since he signed a lease with Credit Union Centre, I'm sure that puts him on the hook for the dates. My question is if he's moving to Saskatoon and putting all this effort behind the team here, what's happening to the Edmonton team he is running?

Which junior team is this? From what I understood he was granted a expansion team in the WHA's junior league for next season. Unless he already owns another junior team that's played this past year.
  #5   IP: 66.24.83.207
Old 04-22-2007, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootmaster_44 View Post
There are other partners?

The way the article reads Troy Burns has no intentions of pulling out. Plus since he signed a lease with Credit Union Centre, I'm sure that puts him on the hook for the dates. My question is if he's moving to Saskatoon and putting all this effort behind the team here, what's happening to the Edmonton team he is running?

Which junior team is this? From what I understood he was granted a expansion team in the WHA's junior league for next season. Unless he already owns another junior team that's played this past year.
It apparently didn't bother him to leave his employees holding the bag after just a few months at the restaurant. What would he care about the arena in Saskatoon? This quote from the article is pretty scary:
"He explained his decision to leave town abruptly by saying "I was fed up with the rumours and the other stuff. I was like 'You know what? It's not working. That's it.' "
  #6   IP: 71.17.132.12
Old 04-22-2007, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakersFan View Post
It apparently didn't bother him to leave his employees holding the bag after just a few months at the restaurant. What would he care about the arena in Saskatoon? This quote from the article is pretty scary:
"He explained his decision to leave town abruptly by saying "I was fed up with the rumours and the other stuff. I was like 'You know what? It's not working. That's it.' "
I suppose that's true. But I can't see Credit Union Centre sitting idly by and letting the lease go unfulfilled. As far as I know a lease is a contract so I'm guessing he'd be taken to court by the arena and forced to pay for it. Plus if he was going to back out, he wouldn't have signed a lease on Thursday.

I wonder what sort of background check the IBL does on potential owners? I've always said if I were running any sort of league, all expansion teams would be required to put double the operating costs of the team up front in an account the league would oversee. That way if an owner walks away from the team, the team can complete the season with the "expansion fees."

I am slowly getting less and less excited about this team. My dad was talking buying season tickets for this team when it was announced, after this article ran in the paper he said we might take in a few games. I still think the scariest thing about this whole article is the fact he had to justify himself by saying he's never been charged with a criminal offense. The fact you have to say that says to me, that this whole situation seems on less than solid footing.
  #7   IP: 68.148.122.181
Old 04-22-2007, 09:15 PM

Default Saskatoon Team

Yes there are a group of 4 owners and yes they are pulling the plug on the Saskatoon team as the lease that was signed apparently was just a formal letter as no dates were picked. I talked to one of the partner's today and they have said that if Troy was to pull out they would all pull out and the Edmonton team has been bought out a few weeks ago as SMG owns it. From what happened at the meeting he just plans to run the hockey teams.
  #8   IP: 71.17.132.12
Old 04-22-2007, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Yes there are a group of 4 owners and yes they are pulling the plug on the Saskatoon team as the lease that was signed apparently was just a formal letter as no dates were picked. I talked to one of the partner's today and they have said that if Troy was to pull out they would all pull out and the Edmonton team has been bought out a few weeks ago as SMG owns it. From what happened at the meeting he just plans to run the hockey teams.
Isn't Troy Burns the head of the Sports Management Group? I seem to recall that was what was mentioned by the Edmonton Journal when the Sled Dawgz was formally announced.
  #9   IP: 68.148.122.181
Old 04-23-2007, 12:14 AM

Default Saskatoon

He is the president of the company but there are 4 other partners of the company as he doesn't want the company to suffer because of what has happened in the pass so they have decided for him just to run his hockey teams under is own company as he will be stepping down as President of SMG and the basketball team will still play in Edmonton but under a different group from what I hear can't blame the guy as how can he run a team in Saskatoon when there is a press release like that. The other partners told me tonight that Saskatoon would be the last place they would bring any kind of team as the media are to negative about things.
  #10   IP: 71.17.132.12
Old 04-23-2007, 05:16 AM

Quote:
He is the president of the company but there are 4 other partners of the company as he doesn't want the company to suffer because of what has happened in the pass so they have decided for him just to run his hockey teams under is own company as he will be stepping down as President of SMG and the basketball team will still play in Edmonton but under a different group from what I hear can't blame the guy as how can he run a team in Saskatoon when there is a press release like that. The other partners told me tonight that Saskatoon would be the last place they would bring any kind of team as the media are to negative about things.
I totally agree hence my letter to the editor of about two weeks ago, when they were trashing the Northern League attempting to come here.

I think in this case the reality is Troy Burns made his own bed and now he has to sleep in it. Unfortunately, because of past misdeeds he is going to be vilified until he makes amends for the restaurant/bar staff salaries and someone steps up and takes responsibility for the ball hockey mess. Plus I'd rather this team never see the floor, if it won't last the season. At least being still born no local people were burnt by it. If this team had played a partial season, then sponsors and ticket holders would be upset. At least this way it didn't even get to that stage, the only thing that now happens is the "lease" at Credit Union Centre is null and void. That means it will need to find something to fill the void next summer.

If he is out as President of SMG, then why doesn't the new owner come to Saskatoon and change perceptions? The media is inherently negative, however someone should step up and show them that this is legit now that Troy Burns is out as President.

If pro basketball doesn't happen in Saskatoon next season so be it, at least we won't be without pro sports period. There's still the CMISL's Accelerators and the ever present Northern League attempts to thrust a team here. Plus there's always other leagues and teams that will undoubtedly come through here.

Out of curiosity, what else does SMG run or own? If the WHA team isn't being run by them and the Edmonton IBL team isn't being run by them, then do they run anything?

Last edited by Shootmaster_44; 04-23-2007 at 05:22 AM.