OSC

OSC message Boards

As the home for independent and minor league sports, OurSports Central's message boards are the perfect place to discuss your favorite teams and leagues with other fans, players and team and league administrators. Our boards cover all the leagues represented on OSC including independent and minor league baseball, indoor and Arena football, outdoor and indoor lacrosse, mens and womens basketball, junior and minor league hockey, outdoor and indoor soccer and more. Before posting for the first time, please consult our FAQ. Contact us with any questions.

OurSport Central independent and minor league sports

#11   IP: 174.79.30.7
Old 10-19-2015, 01:56 PM

Fath has good intentions and has poured a lot of money into trying to make it work there. He upgraded Clarke, continues to bankroll the thing despite what must be enormous losses and shows no outward signs of throwing in the towel.

That said, they can't draw and even a benevolent owner's patience runs out at some point. If the oft-rumored all-Canadian league (which sounds a bit like vaporware) actually comes off, they might be better served in that league than in the NASL.

Of course, they have to have someone to play, and that is not yet clear.
  #12   IP: 174.79.30.7
Old 10-19-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pounder View Post
There's been a Hartford expansion effort. Well...

http://www.courant.com/community/har...009-story.html

There are some really good people in the NASL; lots of fans wish Peter Wilt would help out their club at whatever level. But this league can't catch a break right now.

You make your own breaks.

From what I understand, they didn't go as far with Hartford as they did with Virginia and Oklahoma City. THOSE were black eyes. But more vision, vetting and transparency could have helped.
  #13   IP: 107.77.97.82
Old 09-02-2016, 03:45 AM

So Twitter got lit up today with a rumor about Ottawa leaving the NASL. I've seen this site post an article to say that the team is staying... but it says absolutely nothing about staying in the league... just in Ottawa. The leaker in Ottawa eventually suggested the USL would be the target. Of course, all in negotiation.

That's not as rich as a minority owner of Rayo OKC pulling out nearly half the turf laid over the HS field in Yukon. The owner doesn't say where that turf is. Rayo plays at home the weekend after this coming one, but of course the majority Spanish ownership cut half the staff after Rayo Vallecano relegated, the coach quit as a result, and it's a mess.

Add Fort Lauderdale's failure to make payroll and Miami's unsustainability. Add Puerto Rico's visible issues. Add Minnesota accelerating their timetable to join MLS starting next season and Indianapolis being lured in that direction (though they're maybe losing steam in that effort). Um, good luck, league.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107
  #14   IP: 70.162.126.248
Old 09-03-2016, 11:28 PM

They should beg Ed Hale to join the league.

I hear that's a thing these days.
  #15   IP: 108.198.225.18
Old 09-05-2016, 11:44 AM

My take from the article is, [that only if they would have used the cash for the real purpose they would have never been caught up] but simply getting their grubby hands on that much cash it was to tempting and appears that building the stadium was forgotten while they flashed the cash.
  #16   IP: 24.248.161.158
Old 09-23-2016, 04:08 PM

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articl...e-may-not.html
  #17   IP: 71.59.128.158
Old 11-27-2016, 12:06 AM

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/nasl-a...trikers-55894/

So the NASL was going to try to shepherd the Strikers to another owner somehow. Instead, the departing Bill Edwards wants to "call his loan."
Mean Spirited Blogger #107
  #18   IP: 73.152.43.249
Old 11-27-2016, 08:34 PM

The NASL may stumble into a 2017 season, but it's going to be interesting.

Persistent rumors indicate that Rayo OKC has dismissed the staff and all but closed operations. Fort Lauderdale has no money, even if Edwards doesn't win the suit. And the increasingly-onerous travel obligations will take their toll over the season.

If the NASL people weren't so pig-headed, they'd get with the USL and figure out how to create a real D2/D3 structure, which would put the MLS wannabes in D2 and the community/regional clubs in D3.

But that won't happen. The NASL people would rather kill the sport in their cities than ever go back to the USL.
  #19   IP: 74.84.200.2
Old 11-28-2016, 12:32 PM

And now the Cosmos are in trouble - http://www.empireofsoccer.com/cosmos...n-doubt-55932/

The EoS article speculates that the two leagues will flip status - with USL becoming our second-tier league and the NASL dropping to third division.

Which makes a merger and realignment make even more sense, and thus even less likely to happen.
  #20   IP: 24.248.161.158
Old 11-28-2016, 05:45 PM

Please allow me to play the lord high god of association football in the US and Canada.
The solution long term is this — the MLS needs to expand to between 36 and 40 teams, then split into MLS Premier and MLS Championship.
This allows for promotion and relegation while somewhat preserving the value of the franchises, making everyone a little happier.
There are plenty of markets yet untapped — St. Louis, San Diego, San Antonio, just off the top of my head — that could support a team.
I'd cut the MLS Cup playoffs to the first four teams of the first division (the championship division I handle below).
What's left of the NASL needs to come together with the USL (along with a handful of the better NPSL teams) then split into a Division III League, a Division IV League and the MLS Reserve League (which would play an interlocking schedule with the Division IV league, but play for its own cups and trophies).
What's left of the NPSL should then combine with the PDL for a fifth division. This would be an amateur division of 16 to 21 year olds developed along the lines of the Canadian Hockey League (WHL, OHL and QJMHL) and #*%$ the NCAA at this point. College soccer would be for real students.
The first three divisions should be national, eliminating the divisions. Go to a true double round-robin home-and-home schedule.
The fourth and fifth divisions should be regional.
All five divisions would be eligible to enter their respective Open Cups (US Open and Canadian Open).
The first two divisions should also play for an MLS League Cup. Division's III and IV (along with the MLS reserves) should play for an USL/NASL (or whatever you call this league) League Cup.
Division V would have its own league cup as well.
I may even go more radical in my pro/rel plan for MLS. The bottom four teams of the MLS Premier would be automatically relegated. The top two teams of the MLS Championship would be automatically promoted. Then the next four teams in the Championship would meet the next four teams of the Premier with the top two teams of the tournament promoted.
I would change the Superdraft. Instead of drafting college players, the Superdraft would draft Division V and MLS academy players (an MLS team would be allowed to protect two or three of its own academy players and have right of first refusal to sign any undrafted player who ages out of its academy system).
I might even adopt a split-season, similar to Liga MX, but one that promotes league play in the best weather (ideally fall and spring) and allows the MLS to be competitive with the rest of the world in terms of the transfer windows and international play.